Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data backup problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hey guys, this person's Asus laptop running win7 developed a HDD problem and won't go to windows, he wants to recover some data on the drive, I used Parted Magic to access the drive but strangest thing, I am seeing the folder on the ROOT drive in parted magic but every folder showing is empty, it's as if someone deliberately emptied every folder. I tried attaching the drive as a slave to my machine, I can see the Disk F in My Computer but it doesn't open. The guy is asking me to create a partition on the drive to load an OS to try to recover the files that way, I told him if I partition the drive, that partition may overwrite some files so that's a risk but he is thinking of trying. Any recommendations please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

If Parted Magic does not see the files, I don't think adding an OS would either. Parted Magic has a DiskHealth icon on the desktop. It could also be called Gsmartcontrol. Does the drive pass the short test? Are there any red rows showing under the attributes tab? If the drive passes you could use Testdisk or PhotoRec on the Parted Magic disk. Post back if the drive passes.

When you attached the drive as a slave did it show as RAW in disk management?

info_failing.png

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:58 PM

Hi,

No matter what you try don't write anything on the HDD or change partitions until you manage to recover the data, using recovery software, because if you do the ability to recover the data will be gone.

Edited by SleepyDude, 17 March 2015 - 03:59 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

When you attached the drive as a slave did it show as RAW in disk management?

Does the drive pass the short test? Are there any red rows showing under the attributes tab? If the drive passes you could use Testdisk or PhotoRec on the Parted Magic disk. Post back if the drive passes.

When I attach the drive as a slave, it doesn't open and disk management doesn't load.

Short test shows "completed with read failure".

Attributes tab shows only a few "purple" entries, no red.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:50 PM

Can you post the log of the Gsmartcontrol test? What is the manufacturer of the drive?

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

The error log only shows :No errors logged. It's a Western Digital drive.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

I am not sure this will work but download and run the WD diagnostic test. Hopefully it detects the drive. My suspicion is the drive is failing. Gsmartcontrol could not even read the drive to do the test. completed with read failure

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

The windows boot manager is showing this:

Error 0xc00000e9

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

That suggests a failing HDD, I guess the guy has lost his data or only option now is to take to a lab?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

That can indicate a failing hard drive. I think at this point the way to retrieve the data is to use something like Easeus Data Recovery. You can also use PhotoRec which is part of TestDisk. You would need to indicate which file extensions you want recovered as it recovers everything by default including dll files. You can use the Windows version of Testdisk. Unzip it to a folder on your desktop. Then follow the steps here. Make sure you check only the extensions of the files you need. See the image below. Select File Opt.

PhotoRec_src.png

You need at least the amount of free space on your recovery drive as the amount of data recovered. Photorec recovers files in realtime.

Note: A professional data recovery service probably will charge about $1000 for data recovery. DriveSavers is a good company from other posts on this site. You should tell the client that any software used to recover the files can put more stress on the drive, making recovery more difficult.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 March 2015 - 05:34 PM.

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

I had tried Isobuster, if that didn't recognize the drive's contents then I don't see why any other software method will work?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:45 PM

I am not familiar with isobuster but it looks similar to Easeus Data Recovery. If that did not work then Easeus or PhotoRec probably would not either.

#13 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:27 AM

Isobuster worked once in the past for me to recognize a drive's files.

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:38 AM

Isobuster worked once in the past for me to recognize a drive's files.

I suggest you try more powerful applications specially developed to recover files from HDD's with problems like GetDataBack or R-Studio you will need another HDD to save the recovered files preferably bigger than the one with problems because the application will recover allot more files including deleted ones...

Both programs have demo versions that can show what the software can recover and the analysis (it takes a very long time depending on the disk health state) can be saved to speedup the recovery process in case you decide to buy the software later.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#15 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:41 AM

Those applications don't make a difference in this case but thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users