Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Coolos

Coolos

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hello. I recently got a new computer. It came with a hard drive already. However, I have a hard drive from a different computer that I would like to put in my new computer. I want to keep all of the data. What is the easiest way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

When you say "data", if you mean all your programs, settings and files, then you're out of luck. If you mean just your personal data like pics, documents, videos, and music, then it's rather easy if the old computer still works. You could simply put all your stuff on a flash drive or external hard drive and copy them over. If the computer is dead, or you have no means of copying files. then install the drive in your new machine and copy them like any other files using Windows Explorer. This method can cause some problems, though, if your computer tries to boot from the newly added drive. You may have to change the hard drive order in the BIOS to correct this.

Edited by PanickyD, 17 March 2015 - 03:33 PM.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

What version of windows are you using .. if windows 7 .. just add the drive with a cable just like the existing one if it is SATA and a power connector and Take ownership of the drive.

#4 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

The computer I am connecting it to only has one SATA and power connector plug. Would it work to get a hard drive enclosure for the hard drive and plug it in to a USB port. I could just transfer the files I want that way I think. 

#5 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

A USB to IDE/SATA converter would work just the same as an enclosure, but without the enclosure, and likely be more versatile for future needs. Something like this from Newegg would work perfectly. I had forgotten about the "Take Ownership" situation that YeahBleeping noted. While you can do this manually, here is a registry mod that can add a "Take Ownership" entry to Windows Explorer right-click context menu. I've used it in the past and it works great. Waaaayyyyy simpler and faster than doing it manually.

Edited by PanickyD, 17 March 2015 - 08:24 PM.

#6 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

If i do just get an adapter, will I also need a cord to provide power to the hard drive? There are two plugs for it, but are they both on the adapter?

#7 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:09 PM

The one I linked to (as well as all the others) will have everything you need to access your drive through a USB connection

#8 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

I decided that an enclosure would better fit my needs, so I went with that one. Thanks for everybody's  help. I am done with this post as long as everything goes well when I get the enclosure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users