Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I screw myself with my motherboard purchase?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 redflyr

redflyr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:34 PM

So I recently replaced my motherboard because of a major issue of not being able to boot past the motherboard splash screen(couldn't even get into the bios).  I changed the power supply from a Rosewill 650W to OCZ 600W. After the installation I reinstalled Windows 7 and have got my drivers up and running.

I had been using an Intel DZ77GA-70K EXTREME board with an Intel i7-3770K cpu. And the processor hardly ever got above 50% usage.

I am now running an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4. And my processor is running like crap. For example: it maxes out trying to play youtube videos. And is constantly getting completely  overwhelmed, hitting 99% use all the time.

I also upgraded the RAM from 8gb to 16gb, the RAM has not been an issue, the RAM usage has been quite low.

At the moment I'm using an older 1gb GeForce 8400GS video card, I need a new power supply to get my 2gb Gigabyte HD7870 running(which I was running before).  I know this would slow things down a bit, but would have this affect on the processor?! 

Please any advice would be great, I haven't had the best understanding of how to choose motherboards and I'm afraid I just made a really bad choice and am now paying for it.

Thanks so much for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

Downgrading the video card may be causing the cpu to have to do more work with video decoding etc. Since this is a variable, I would wait to make any judgement call until I was able to put the newer card in and run more tests.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

Don't forget to install all of the windows updates as well. Sometimes those will use quite a bit of cpu power and hard drive I/O.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

One more thing: you could probably run that video card with that power supply.

#5 redflyr

redflyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

thanks for the advice!

the power supply is missing the needed cables, it came in a computer i bought from a friend who's not sure where all the extra pieces are... :(

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

thanks for the advice!

the power supply is missing the needed cables, it came in a computer i bought from a friend who's not sure where all the extra pieces are... :(

Copy. CPU's are terrible when it comes to video related tasks which is why gpu's are important. It certainly could be the cause. Let us know what happens.

#7 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

Open Task Manager and see which process is using all the CPU cycles. This should give you/us an idea of what is really causing the problem

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

Knowing the processes using the highest cpu% will help.

You may be able to leave the video card out entirely and use the onboard video which may work until you can get your 7870 back in.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

FYI, everything I have read says your built in Intel HD 4000 graphics are better than the 8400GS video card.

#10 redflyr

redflyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:51 PM

FYI, everything I have read says your built in Intel HD 4000 graphics are better than the 8400GS video card.

OMYGOD! I just took that card out and it's running SO MUCH BETTER!!! Thank you so much friend!!! :bananas:  :bounce:  :bananas:

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:53 AM

Glad to help, happy computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users