Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best operating system

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 palmac48

palmac48

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

pals. which is the best operating system. currently, i use windows xp but I feel there is need to try other better operating system. your help will be appreciated.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 March 2015 - 03:45 PM.
moved from Announcements, Comments, & Suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:13 PM

Which OS is the best depends on a lot of factors - appearance, ease of use, hardware requirements, support etc.

If anything, I recommend that you leave XP and upgrade for purely security reasons - Windows XP is no longer supported and leaves your machine terribly vulnerable to malware and various other risks.

For your information, I use Windows 7 - just because I'm used to it. :) Might move to Windows 8.1 soon, though.

Regards,
Alex

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

If you are used to windows, I would say Windows 7 is worth a shot. If you have used linux before and do not need certain programs (microsoft office) you could try Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

7 is very similar to XP making the transition easy, it can be found very cheap on Ebay it will also let upgrade to Win 10 free when the final edition is released.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

When buying win7 (my fav in Windows class), try getting home premium or professional or ultimate based on your pocket.
If you want free alternatives, I recommend Ubuntu (linux). But keep in mind, you need a little tweaking to run Windows programs on linux and most programs will not behave always as expected.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

When buying win7 (my fav in Windows class), try getting home premium or professional or ultimate based on your pocket.
If you want free alternatives, I recommend Ubuntu (linux). But keep in mind, you need a little tweaking to run Windows programs on linux and most programs will not behave always as expected.

Nikhil, if the user is just an average user then it's best not to get Ultimate Edition since he'll waste its many additional utilities. For normal use Home Premium is enough, Professional at most if you like a little tinkering.

#7 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

I agree with Alexstraza, Windows 7 Professional is on all my computers, and I love it. Very stable and (hopefully) will be supported by MS for quite a few more years. One of the Linux distros would be OK if you're not afraid of doing some searching and tinkering to get things working the way you like. Linux Mint is my favorite there. Best part about any of the Linux flavors is that they're all free, so if you don't like it, format and install Windows7 anyway. To reiterate, Windows7 is probably your best bet, especially since, like OldPhil said, there will be a free upgrade to Windows10 in the near future.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:13 PM

IMO for the average user that want to hit the button and be comfortable they should stick with windows, Win 7 with the free jump to 10 is a great deal.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#9 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

Mine has been Win 7(x64) Home Premium by a large margin.  I was an XP user before getting Win 7 in 2010.  Before that, I believe it was Win '98, then the memory gets faded :)..... Win '95, 3.1  .

For me, 7's been a big improvement from XP.  I recall being skeptical when I was thinking about staying with XP in 2010.  Glad I made the choice to 7 with my 2 PC's.

Since 7 is running great for me at home, I haven't entered the 8[.1] scene as there's been no need for me for to upgrade.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:37 AM

It depends of what you mean by "best". It's a matter of opinion to be honest. The best OS for me doesn't mean that it'll be the best OS for you. If you never tried any Linux distro, maybe it's not the best for you. If you have experience with Windows then the "best" OS might be a Windows one, but which version, we don't know. There's no OS benchmarks as far as I know, all of them have their pros and their cons, it's what you want to do with it that pretty much decides which one you'll use.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

It depends on what you want, If you are prepared to learn new stuff then I suggest you try Linux. I would not recommend getting rid of Windows until you are familiar with Linux,

If you have used linux before and do not need certain programs (microsoft office)

Zingo is right, As a general rule no Windows software will run on Linux, Some Windows software may run in Wine but do not count on it.

Ms office can be installed in Ubuntu with Wine.
How To Install Microsoft Office 2010 In Ubuntu With Wine

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

it can be found very cheap on Ebay

With the usual provisos. Choose a seller with a good reputation, and don't be tempted by too cheap offers, you might be getting a 'Mickey Mouse' pirate copy or one that has already been used.

Apart from that, yes, Win 7 is a good solid OS and most of its problems are well known and fixes are available.

Chris Cosgrove

#13 Basementgeek

Basementgeek

If God is your co pilot -switch seats

• Malware Response Team
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

Since XP is gone, it has been Win 7 for me.

BG

Posted Image

#14 LiamiFromMiami

LiamiFromMiami

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

I have a computer with windows 8.1 on it and I am currently really enjoying it!

#15 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:20 PM

The question you should ask yourself is "What will my hardware support?"

Many people still running Windows XP are also behind in the speed and power needed for a full blown Windows 7/8/8.1 64bit system.

The two operating systems I use on a daily basis are Windows 7 Pro, both 32 and 64 bit, and xUbuntu, again both 32 and 64 bit.  

I use xUbuntu because it does everything the full Ubuntu systems does, but uses the more traditional menu driven xfce desktop.

I added the packages I wanted, after I installed the system.

I suggest that you download a live CD for Ubuntu, Knoppix, or other distro of linux, and try it first.

If it does everything you want, then you can install it along side your Windows XP as a dual boot.

XP can then run your local programs and games, like it always did.

You can then use Linux to browse the web without the security issues of XP.

BTW, all my games run under Wine in Linux.  So I dumped Windows off of my home computer!

I only use Windows at work.

Cheers!

Naught

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users