Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow almost dead computer not starting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Carter

Michael Carter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

Mod Edit: Moved from AII to Internal Hardware ~~ boopme

I have on my desk a Toshiba Qosmio with an old PCi7 processor and 4GB RAM running Win7. It belongs to a friend (mother with kids at same school as mine) who reported it would not start at all.

I got it to start in safe mode. I noted Norton 360 was installed, but I thought I'd run Malwarebytes and the AVG tune up tool. The AVG tool would not install, perhaps because it was in safe mode, and MBAM installed but crashed immediately upon opening.

Starting to suspect infection I came here and ran Rkill, TDSSkiller and the Junkware removal tool. I also turned off all non-MS services before uninstalling Malwarebytes and installing and trying to run it again.  Once again it failed.  But in safe mode it seemed more responsive and I got it to start in full mode.

Perhaps foolishly, I removed Norton 360, with the intention of installing an AV package with lower overhead, such as AVG free. But after the restart it just wouldn't start. It sat there for an hour with the fuzzy window saying Starting Windows before I powered it down. Then it wouldn't start in safe mode either. So I let it run the repair routine. That ran for a couple of hours before it tried to restart itself, but it hung in the same place as before, with the fuzzy window saying Starting Windows.

If it was my computer I'd remove the HD and back up any data before wiping the OS and starting again, but it isn't, and I wondered if anyone here could recommend a more gentle approach.

Edited by boopme, 19 March 2015 - 08:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:42 AM

If a moderator reads this I think it should be moved to Internal Hardware, although it is quite interesting that malware type symptoms can sometimes be caused by failing hardware.

This morning I used a USB stick OS to check the HD functionality. Here is a screenshot from HD Tune's bench test, which started well but then ground to a sudden halt.

Clipboard01_zpsef7hphnx.jpg

Probably not too clever to run a bench test on a failing HD, but hey I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. Anyway after it ground to an untimely halt, I ran a surface scan, and here are the results of the scan, until it too ground to a halt:

Clipboard03_zpsieg29wyy.jpg

So that seems to explain why the poor thing mostly wouldn't boot, and wouldn't run when it did. Probably not a virus at all, but a seriously damaged hard drive.  I have returned the computer to its owner and recommended that she should replace it.

#3 cats3122

cats3122

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:38 PM

With what you have posted I too will suggest that the hard drive has/is failing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users