Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unattended/Silent running of Junkware Removal Tool or ADWCleaner

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GoroUnreal

GoroUnreal

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:32 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before but i'm looking for an application such as JRT or ADWCleaner that can run silently to clean all unwanted toolbars, etc. It's to be run as a scheduled maintenance for our client pcs. So far the closest i've gotten is running JRT via a VBscript that sends keystrokes at the correct times to start the scan. Problem is this doesn't work if the user isn't logged in or if you were to run the script as the system user seeing as the program isn't visible and cannot have keystrokes sent to it.

Even if JRT or ADWCleaner could be updated to have a command line switch that simply forces the program to autoscan and remove would work fine.

If this isn't possible could anyone suggest an alternative that could do this, doesn't matter if it's free or paid.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:40 AM

JRT and AdwCleaner aren't CLI-based and don't have a CLI-version, so I guess it won't be possible to use them. You have to run them manually in order for them to do their work. It's pretty much the same thing for ESET Online Scanner and other malware removal tools. There's one tool that exists I think, it's called Tron, but it contains way more than what you're looking for. It's just a script that runs pretty much every known malware removal tool.

The best alternative would be to install an Antivirus or Antimalware program, such as Malwarebytes (Antimalware) or Emsisoft Anti-Malware (Paid is Antivirus, free is Antimalware) on your customers' computers and schedule scans on them.

Edited by Aura., 17 March 2015 - 07:41 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 GoroUnreal

GoroUnreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the reply, do you know if Emsisoft Anti-Malware does a good job of finding and removing toolbars like ask toolbar, etc? I've only used it a few times and i've found others like malwarebytes only remove part of the toolbar whereas JRT and ADWCleaner appear to clean them completely.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

Emsisoft is really good at aiming at PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs), which toolbars can be considered part of. However, if the toolbar is legitimate like Yahoo! or Google, it most likely won't remove it since they have a "good" reputation. I'm not a big user of Emsisoft's products, so I'll let someone like quietman or Alex answer that, or even a member of Emsisoft Staff himself :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:49 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer GoroUnreal

Yes your inquiry has been asked before. JRT is a non-interactive batch program which automatically removes whatever it finds. AdwCleaner is a portable GUI-based adware cleaner. Neither tools have switches and as far as I am aware, the developers have no plans to incorporate them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 GoroUnreal

GoroUnreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:50 AM

No problem, thanks for the help, i'll check out emsisoft anyway just in case. If anyone else has suggestions they would be much appreciated.

#7 GoroUnreal

GoroUnreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer GoroUnreal

Yes your inquiry has been asked before. JRT is a non-interactive batch program which automatically removes whatever it finds. AdwCleaner is a portable GUI-based adware cleaner. Neither tools have switches and as far as I am aware, the developers have no plans to incorporate them.

Thanks =), it's a shame seeing as JRT would simply just need to remove the press any key to continue stage and it would run fine from what I can see. Honestly even a separate build that does this would be great. It's a shame also that it automatically removes all event logs too, it would be good to turn that off as well.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware blocks the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

500xNxeam_pup_728x574_en.png.pagespeed.i

#9 GoroUnreal

GoroUnreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

Hmm i'll have to test it to see if it can remove them as well as JRT or ADWCleaner, hopefully it does seeing as it does have a command line feature as well

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

I have been using EAM for years now and it works well.

#11 Revsie

Revsie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:40 AM

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I was looking at how I could automate JRT.

I managed to do it by extracting the files from the executable to a folder.

In the folder there is a batch script called get.bat, open this in notepad.

Press CTRL+H to open the replace window. In the Find What: field enter "Pause" Without the quotes, in the Replace With: field just leave blank.

Now click on replace all and save the script.

Now when you run the script it will fly through without waiting for any inputs.

Hope this helps!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users