Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opera Browser in linux!

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:38 AM

I just thought I would share with all that I have been using the Opera browser for years on my Windows machines. I have installed Opera on every distro I have in linux --and it works great.It is faster than Firefox,and has a very clean looking GUI! I think everyone should try it- and let me know what you think??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:01 AM

Install Opera Browser using the Opera repository. That way it will install the version that is needed and run the updates automatically

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free"
wget -O - http://deb.opera.com/archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install opera

Edited by NickAu, 17 March 2015 - 04:02 AM.

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:08 PM

Thanks Nick - i just went to the Opera website-and it knew what I needed and downloaded and installed.However, I have printed off your instructions so that I know how to do it in the terminal-just in case!

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,866 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:00 AM

You are most welcome.

Edited by NickAu, 27 March 2015 - 12:02 AM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:21 AM

Glad to read that Opera was finally updated for Linux. :thumbup2:

For the longest time it was stuck at 12.16 and unlike Firefox & Chrome, refused to update after install. It was a few months back, there was word that they still were deciding to issue an update for Linux. 

Actually, they still are sticking with the old for 32 bit users. 

http://www.opera.com/download//?os=linux-i386&list=all

As explained here, and for once since Opera changed hands, I've agreed with this decision, only wished it also applied to all 32 bit OS's. Dumping 32 bit support is a sure fire way to get unsupported users to move on. Others should follow this lead, just not restrict it to Linux users, make it global. 

http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2014/12/frequently-asked-questions-opera-linux/

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:24 AM

I think its a bit of a bad decision to abandon 32bit users as many many people in poor countries don't have access to buy 64bit machines.....I live in a very poor country and you daily see what is big national companies still running on XP...and most of those are pirated...throughout the world the poorer countries rely on the cheapest of the cheap machines  which are usually things which have been bought up when companies , schools etc in EU, USA etc have a clear out  ...and unless the new end users get a pirated XP or 7...they will go for Linux..and with many Distros dropping the 32bit  versions..and software companies following suit soon many linux users will have to stop..

Since Opera re started its project  I don't see anything that will get me to re use it...it seems more like google chrome now..  I will carry on using Qupzilla and Palemoon....

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:49 PM

I think everyone should try it- and let me know what you think??

Tried an old version which comes with Precise Puppy Fatty, which is basically Precise Puppy 5.7.1 with a bunch of extra software already installed. But with so many open-source browsers available, I doubt I would ever choose to install Opera to any operating system.

capture22350_zpsnwkrevgl.png

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:06 PM

I use it because that is what I used in Windows.It workd fine for me- although it does have a bug with Adobe Flash Player 11. Seems Opera doesn't see it as being installed,However, this is a minor flaw for me since i use it for general browsing -

#9 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:51 PM

i started using Opera and their email client a long time ago- then they abandoned the email client to "devote" their time to their browser. My mom still uses both and she loves it,but she is 87,and pretty set in her ways.

Edited by paul88ks, 26 March 2015 - 11:53 PM.

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:01 AM

Tried an old version which comes with Precise Puppy Fatty, which is basically Precise Puppy 5.7.1 with a bunch of extra software already installed. But with so many open-source browsers available, I doubt I would ever choose to install Opera to any operating system.

BTW-Love your Desktop!

#11 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:46 AM

I use it because that is what I used in Windows.It workd fine for me- although it does have a bug with Adobe Flash Player 11. Seems Opera doesn't see it as being installed,However, this is a minor flaw for me since i use it for general browsing -

I may be wrong  but as Opera is based on Google Chrome or Chromium it uses "Pepper Flash" as opposed to Normal "Flash"....... Chrome I believe comes with it already installed..but Chromium needs it installing..which isn't always straight forward as it needs some manual config to get it recognised...

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:52 AM

Nice desktop you have there, Al1000! :)

Some of the Puppy distros actually shipped with Opera in the ISO. If my mind serves me correct, Precise did, an older ISO that was laying around on a Data drive, back when I was learning the Firewall setup. I recall Opera being on that one and maybe another. 

It's been awhile, can't recall if Firefox was on there or not, though I believe SeaMonkey was already installed. Being that I was familiar more with Opera, used that one for Internet access. 

I doubt I would ever choose to install Opera to any operating system.

After what appeared to be a forced buyout, actually was reluctant myself, just need an extra browser. Though have installed Vivaldi on two Windows OS's & one Linux, and am impressed with what I see in such a short span. They were the 'real' Opera developers, today it's just a name, referred in the US as a 'holding company'. Though this mainly applies to retailers, it could apply to anything sporting the same name & logo. It is certainly not the 'community based Web browser' that made the name. 

Hopefully the Vivaldi team has enough enthusiasm left to pull off the improbable for the 2nd time, and can create an atmosphere that was in the DNA of Opera before the current owners got their hands on the corporation. I do believe that the original Opera team was a great one, maybe got in too deep over their heads & forced to sell off parts of the corporation to save the rest. We'll likely never know all of the answers to that. 

Just saying, anyone who wants a dose of the 'real' Opera should take a look at it's original creators & the Vivaldi project. 

https://vivaldi.com

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:01 AM

I may be wrong  but as Opera is based on Google Chrome or Chromium it uses "Pepper Flash" as opposed to Normal "Flash"....... Chrome I believe comes with it already installed..but Chromium needs it installing..which isn't always straight forward as it needs some manual config to get it recognised...

That's correct, Opera users needs that version of Flash installed, it should be in the Software Manager of their distro. This, I found out not on my Linux installs, rather the Windows ones with Opera, there was a recent update to all Flash versions, bringing them to version 17. 

Hopefully Linux users can also get the latest PepperFlash for Opera. One thing I like about Google Chrome versus Chromium, the plug-ins are there & the browser is kept up to date with the OS. Hopefully Opera 64 bit will also be, can't see why it wouldn't be. 

Cat

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,866 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:18 AM

but Chromium needs it installing..which isn't always straight forward as it needs some manual config to get it recognised..

Yes sometimes you need to tell Chromium about it .

The fix.

sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install

If this doesn’t work you may need to manually configure it. Close the browser, Open terminal and type:

sudo gedit /etc/chromium-browser/default

Add the following line at the end:

. /usr/lib/pepflashplugin-installer/pepflashplayer.sh

Edited by NickAu, 27 March 2015 - 02:32 AM.

#15 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:40 AM

See- i didn't even know there were two kinds of 'Flash". And Yes - Opera is built off of chrome,just look at it without the dressing and it works almost exactly the same way - settings -etc.

See- i didn't even know there were two kinds of 'Flash". And Yes - Opera is built off of chrome,just look at it without the dressing and it works almost exactly the same way - settings -etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users