Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installed two hard drives, only see one

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gcs9628

gcs9628

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:16 AM

I built my new computer, running windows 8.1, and put in an solid state drive and just a normal hard drive, i downloaded windows on the ssd. after i had everything running, for about a month, i realized that everything i downloaded (my drives programs games etc.) were only going on my ssd and didn't see my normal hard drive at all. i made sure all the cables were plugged in and completely redid and took out the hard drive, i still can't find it what do i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gcs9628

gcs9628
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:23 AM

under my divides and drives it says i only have one hard drive when i have two installed

#3 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:26 AM

Hi,
How is your ssd and hard drive connected to the mobo? Is it via SATA? If yes, check in your BIOS interface whether both devices are listed.
Do you see both drives being listed in Device Manager of windows?
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#4 gcs9628

gcs9628
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:28 AM

hey my ssd is connected via SATA cable and it is listed in my bios although my main 2tb hard drive isn't 

Edited by gcs9628, 17 March 2015 - 01:28 AM.

#5 GeePee29

GeePee29

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:33 AM

Does your HD show in Explorer?

If not, Go to Control Panel - Administrative tools - Computer management - disk management

Can you see your SSD & HD in there?

If it does then you probably just need to create a disk partition. If this is the solution you need to remember that windows will see the SSD as the system drive and will install everything there by default unless you choose otherwise when installing apps/games.

If not, swap round the sata cables on the mother board. Does your PC still boot? if so, you know that the sata interface is OK.

Try another sata cable on the HD

Is the HD getting power? swap the power connectors on the two drives.

If you've ruled out power, sata cable and sata interface then the drive is faulty.

#6 gcs9628

gcs9628
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:33 AM

Never mind sorry about that i just found my main hard drive in the bios if that helps sorry for the confusion

#7 gcs9628

gcs9628
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:46 AM

i switched the SATA cables and it still boots up, but the main hard drive still isn't showing in the disks and drives, but its showing in the bios

#8 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:57 AM

Hi ,
What about the points GeePee29 suggested?
And what about the diskdrive entries in 'device manager'?
Try swapping or changing SATA ports and cables as well as power connectors.
Also, if possible, perform a complete shutdown as per http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/how-shut-down-turn-off-pc or turn faststartup off as per http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#9 gcs9628

gcs9628
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:59 AM

i just switched the power and SADA cables, they both show up in the bios, in disks and drives

#10 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:05 AM

Is it accessible(read/write) and everything okay?
You may be interested in reading:
http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19568143
http://www.back2gaming.com/guides/ssd-optimization-for-windows-8-and-8-1/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2110095/the-ultimate-guide-to-proper-ssd-management.html

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 17 March 2015 - 02:20 AM.

#11 gcs9628

gcs9628
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:13 AM

I bought it brand new and i don't know what to do with it all i can see is under its name in the bios is ST2000DM001-1E

#12 gcs9628

gcs9628
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:17 AM

ok i just got the hard drive in disk management but it says it is unallocated

#13 gcs9628

gcs9628
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:19 AM

and its status is not working properly i know this may sound stupid but are there any specific drivers i had to install for that particular hard drive

#14 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:33 AM

Usually harddrive doesnt require any manual driver config.
So, now you are able to view the drive in disk management. Is it shown in your My PC (aka My Computer)?
Download and run :
> To check for errors http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/
> Use disk wizard to format/partition the drive http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/downloads/discwizard/
Please take care to avoid messing with SSD anyway.

#15 gcs9628

gcs9628
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:33 AM

Hey, nikhil_cv i formatted the hard drive again and everything is perfect thank you so much for your help 

•  
  •  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users