Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Need new motherboard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bryner250

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:53 PM

Hi fist time on here so bare with me. I have a HP P-2 1394 desktop and my motherboard does not have a PCI Express slot in it so I can't upgrade the video drive. So what I was wondering was what r some other motherboards I can put in there that will fit? Is there anything else I'll need 2 do to it? I'm new to the customizing my computer so bare with me. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:28 PM

Hello and welcome to BC !! This question comes up quite a lot but each one is a little different so it is hard to give you an easy answer.  First things first.  Microsoft windows installations are tied to the mainboard so unless you have your own full version of windows you need a new copy.

The power supply may not be good enough to power your new video card once you decide on one.  So you may need a new power supply.  If you can read off the technical information off the side of the power supply that will help.  But you still may need a new one of the current one does not have the right connectors for the modern motherboards. 

Are you planning to use the old cpu and memory?  Depending on the type of memory that is currently installed you may need new memory modules.

In some cases it is almost easier to build a new machine and pick parts from pcpartspicker and just take out any components from your old computer you want to re-use ie. Hard drive/cdRom.  And put them in your new machine.

You will want to wipe the drive unless you need some files off of it as it will make complications from drivers in an old windows installation easier to manage by doing a full reinstall of windows.

Hope that helps and gives you some things to think about.

#3 hamluis

• 55,045 posts
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

Well...first thing that I would remember...is that OEM systems are not necessarily designed for motherboard replacement, whether laptop or desktop model.  I would definitely replace the case if I wanted to replace the motherboard...and bear in mind that replacing the motherboard may also entail using newer/better RAM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users