Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router/Modem only responds to one device?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

We switched providers 3+ months ago, with it we got a new cable modem and router.

We have two computers hardwired to the router, though one has a wifi adapter.

Two days ago I woke up and my computer did not connect to the internet.  As normal I checked out the problem.

Apparently, computer #1 (the one I'm on right now) can connect to the router/modem just fine, however, with the same wires and settings, computer #2 does not. (Mine)

I've talked to my ISP several times, they have no idea the problem, and just suggest buying a new router.

However, as you guys obviously know, it could be a number of things causing the problem, and I don't want to buy a new one without making sure this is not a fixable problem.

I say 'router/modem', because strangely enough, computer #1 connects whether it's hardwired directly to the modem, or through the router.  Because of this I cannot tell which is at fault.

As you can guess, computer #2 connects to neither of them.

We always got a really good signal, and neither the router or the modem have shown signs of being broken until now.

I'm only making a thread about this because I've been messing with it for two days, and the variables seem to indicate a software(ish) problem, rather than a physical one.  Mostly because there are no connection problems. (The devices connect to both boxes, and have signal strength, however have no internet response.)

It's a Netgear router, and the standard Cox Cable modem, they're very new, and all of the cables are just as new.

The devices not connecting are anything on wifi (mobile phones, etc.) and computer #2.

Computer #1 connects, and seems to be working just fine.  I've disconnected and reconnected everything so many times and it still works.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

To clear up something people might ask:

When I posted the original thread, I was plugged in on computer #1 to the modem.

Since that time I have reset everything and plugged computer #1 to the router, and then the router into the modem, and it has the same results.

This is why I feel like the router doesn't appear to be at fault, because I still get a completely perfect connection on computer #1, no matter what the variables.  (At most it takes five or ten minutes of tweaking to get the connection back up, as opposed to no response on all other devices)

And, I've googled this problem and it appears others have had similar problems.

#3 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

This is terribly confusing.

You see, all of the devices (edit: except computer #1) act like they're connected (computer #2 can even change router settings?!) and have full bars around the house, but they have no internet response.

I've looked for ages in the router settings, and they're not blocking anything. (We didn't change the settings when this happened)

I've tried plugging the cords in different spaces and such, just in case it was a cable problem.

But, like I said, no matter the variables, computer #1 still connects to the internet, and no other devices do.

If it's not the router, it must be the modem, but can a modem do that?  Can my ISP do that?  I have no idea.   :scratchhead:

Edited by JoeVehicle, 16 March 2015 - 10:24 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

Did they send out a tech to hook it all up? Did you add the router after? If they did send a tech, did he use PC#1? Did anyone reset the router?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:18 PM

When we first got the ISP, yes a tech came out and hooked it all up.

We added the router afterward, yes.  However for three months now we've had no issues.

Using Netgear Genie it shows that no devices attempt to connect to the router, and it is not blocking them in any way.

When the tech set up the modem, he did use #1.

I only reset the router after this problem occurred.  It didn't change anything at all.  Devices still won't connect. (I've set up the router configuration again, and #1 can connect fine)

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:05 PM

Which Netgear do you have?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:59 AM

At this point it's irrelevant.

So, once I got the router configured, I spent about an hour messing with the router settings.

I made a new SSID and such, and now all of the mobile devices connect to the wifi!

I have no idea why or how, but it works now for wifi... except on computer #2, which is still unresponsive to internet (connects, has no response).

I will try and fix this using google so none of you have to waste time on this confusing situation.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:10 AM

Ok good luck I guess. Just FYI, we're here because we want to be so you're not wasting our time. =)

Edited by CaveDweller2, 17 March 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#9 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

Apparently I was foolish to think I could solve this with Google.  Results are far too many to find any that actually have anything to do with what my problem is.

Any ideas on what might be the problem?

The router rejected all devices but one, when I renamed the SSID (that's really all I did) it magically allowed other devices to connect, but computer #2 still has no response (it does detect & connect to the router).   Router is not blocking anything, and all of the devices connecting to it work fine.

I've reset all of the adapters a few times in troubleshooting, obviously, but is it worth it to try and reinstall the network drivers on computer #2?  I've heard of a couple of people doing this on similar issues, they used a USB (or homegroup, which still works) to share the files, which they downloaded on a separate computer. (#1)

I only said you may be wasting your time because you may simply not be able to fix this problem, but the further I look into it, it doesn't look at all like the router is broken, perhaps wifi just went down and it did something to computer #2?

Thanks in advance, guys.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:12 PM

Standard troubleshooting.

1.  Power everything off.

2.  Power on the modem.

3.  Power on the router.

4.  Power on the computer, connected to the router.

This normally happens because your ISP only gives one IP address and locks to the first device connected.  So, your computer works, but your router won't.  This procedure will make the router the first device connected and should resolve your issue.

#11 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:58 PM

I've done all that days ago, nothing fixes it.

I could try it again in that exact order now that the wifi 'works'.

The router is working fine with all of the other devices, so I don't know if that's going to fix it.

Edit:  Yup, just tried it, internet went back up normally, devices connected.

Computer #2 still dead.

Edited by JoeVehicle, 17 March 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:10 PM

Ok so lets get this all straight, the only issue is PC2 can connect to the router but still has limited access(aka no internet access)? I am unclear if it is connected wired, wireless or either.

But now everything else works, PC1, phones, tablets, whatever wireless works just fine through the router out to the internet?  <<---if this is a YES, then yes the router is fine. The issue is with PC2.

If you connect PC2 directly to the modem, do an ipconfig /release..hit Enter and ipconfig /renew and hit Enter at a command prompt, it still doesn't surf? the release/renew thing is to get a different IP.

EDIT: Don't worry about trying to figure it out on your own, that is how we are learned =)

Edited by CaveDweller2, 17 March 2015 - 08:11 PM.

#13 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the response.

#2 has both a wireless adapter and a hard wire adapter, neither work.

Everything else was working, I thought it was the router at first, but it appears to be two problems that happened at once.  So yes, the router looks fine.

Going to try the ipconfig thing, thanks.

Edit:  ipconfig did not work, but it gave me more information.

"No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has it's media disconnected.

An error occurred while releasing interface Ethernet : An address has not yet been associated with the network adapter."

I would like to point out that the computer is not disconnected, it simply says 'limited' or 'unidentified network', depending on the mood.   :unsure:

Edited by JoeVehicle, 17 March 2015 - 09:11 PM.

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:15 PM

ok so plugged into the modem it gave you that error?

#15 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

Yes.  It's plugged in.

I also forgot to add that on /renew it says 'An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by it's access permissions.'

Any ideas..?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users