Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Back up and restore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tomgreen

Tomgreen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

I had a customer bring in a Dell inspiration 3847.  The hard drive had gone bad.  So not a problem. She wanted me to restore files from a windows back up she did back in November.  The back up is on three CDRs.  I use Windows back up and restore to browse to the files on the back up disc but I can't see what is there.  If I open a picture in the picture folder it says it is empty.  I tried to restore the files and it tells me to (not a quote)>> insert the proper media into drive D: Then I run the auto run on the back up disc and I get the same message   I was able to get some files to restore, but I had to select the files individually and restore them to a new folder. I tried to open the JPEGs and Windows photo viewer would open but it would not display the picture. I even tried to take ownership of the files I did manage to get to come over and it still wouldn't open them.  I gave full control as well.   I could't restore it to the original place either.  I was wondering that it will not restore because I had to put a new hard drive in the PC.  I was thinking that the back up won't restore because of the new hard drive.  Different setting maybe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:33 PM

Welcome to the Bleeping Computer Community :welcome:

This is the step I could see you might be referring to (?) but just in case have posted it.

Tekken

#3 Tomgreen

Tomgreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

Welcome to the Bleeping Computer Community :welcome:

This is the step I could see you might be referring to (?) but just in case have posted it.

Thanks BC, but those steps didn't work.  Is it because it is a new hard drive?  But that shouldn't matter.   :huh:

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:46 AM

It shouldn't matter AFAIK but most likely it's how the discs were created. Sorry if I could not help and suggest more to the problem at hand.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users