Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 to Win 8

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jaisy

jaisy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:19 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564173/windows-7-install-downgrade-from-windows-8 - Hamluis.

I have the same situation. Can i just install windows 8 again? Will it work?

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2015 - 05:17 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:27 PM

Welcome,

If you have the Windows 8 installation disk you should be able to reinstall it. You might want to disable any antivirus you have installed. They sometimes get over protective.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 jaisy

jaisy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:07 PM

I deleted all of the partitions including those in 24GB drive not knowing what are in those partitions. Should I just bring it to ASUS and let them reformat it because i'm also having problem in booting this external Disc drive?

Thank you..

Edited by jaisy, 16 March 2015 - 11:13 PM.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:27 PM

jaisy, Hello &  :welcome: to BC Forums! 

I'll try to assist, hopefully your computer can run long enough to go through the Setup again & also that your Data is secure elsewhere. You can download the Setup again, and can even create the ISO to re-install your Windows 8 computer fresh, but you'll need to be on that computer for this to work. So that Microsoft can verify the key w/out you needing to input a COA (same during install). 

You have two options, downloading the Setup file and letting Windows 8 upgrade to preserve your documents & Data, or creating an ISO for clean install. Some users has reported that Windows 8.1 ISO's now will 'see' the Windows 8 COA during the Setup phase & install it cleanly, I have the ISO & DVD, but have not actually performed the install yet. Because I have a key for a software that I purchased (Malwarebytes Pro Lifetime) missing. It's around here in my rat's nest or years of accumulated computer software, but have yet to find it, it's likely under my nose & don't see it. 

Anyway, off to the races shall we go! :thumbup2:

Go to this page to begin, where you'll download a small Setup file. This detects what type of key you have internally. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Once you run that, you'll be offered the opportunity, unless it's recently changed, to download either a Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO for creating media now by DVD or Flash drive, or by saving as an ISO file to a folder in a hard drive (preferably external) so that you'll have it for whenever needed. What's important is that if offered a selection, be sure to download the version you have. For example, don't download a 8 or 8.1 Pro ISO when it's the base version. Do not download a K or N version, unless these applies to your area. Check your license to see what you have. 

I see you just added a post, it could have been your needed drivers were in there, plus all of those required for GPT partitioning. Patience is of high virtue when posting for assistance on these forums. We're not paid, on demand support, so some members may require days before getting an answer. Deleting all of those partitions has in essence, knocked you out of options, other than returning the computer or purchasing recovery media set (lowest cost option). This will be what came with your computer, including all bloatware & what I suggest to do, unless you'd rather pay for ASUS staff to do the same at a higher price. 

Warranty doesn't cover OS corruption, hardware only. 

I do suggest when your computer is returned, be sure to create a recovery DVD set, as well as a backup drive to create system images on a regular basis (monthly at a minimum) to get you out of jams like you got into. There are several Free & paid backup software options to consider & I cannot live w/out my backups. 

Backups are just as important as running security software. You really need to get into the practice of this to prevent future errors of this type. as well as create that Recovery Media set, which will consist of 3 to 5 DVD's. 

And next time, please give us a little longer before pulling the trigger. You could have saved some big bucks using the link above. 

Good Luck with the outcome. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 16 March 2015 - 11:30 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 jaisy

jaisy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:33 AM

Hi Cat,

Thank you for your immediate help. t thought of just bringing it back to ASUS rather than fixing it myself. What happened to this computer caused so much stress for a noobie like me. Next time I'll be careful in doing these things and maybe need consulting from you good guys.

Thank you very much for your time and effort. Till next post. Nice work keep it up  :clapping:  :clapping:

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:54 AM

You're quite welcome! :thumbup2:

Wish I'd caught the post sooner, actually had to look for it, as I seen it had been moved from it's original place (I added a notice over there). 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

Cat,

It would be a nice feature, if when a moderator moves a message, there is a note [breadcrumb] left behind to alert both the poster and the casual reader that the message has been moved. Even nicer would be the inclusion of a link to allow all to click on it and be brought to the new thread.

[a wish list item]

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users