Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to replace my HDD need some advice.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Negotron

Negotron

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

Hi guys please refer to the link below to get an idea on whats wrong with my HDD 2nd page to be exact.  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/569579/logged-in-with-a-temporary-profile-windows-7/

Basically I just want advice on what I should get and what I need to know to make sure it fits/work on my desktop. Also I would like to do the replacement myself is there any good tutorials that I can use since it would be my first time replacing a HDD. 

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

Go with a Samsung Evo SSD drive for the os and a 1TB western digital for storage.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:38 PM

^^ I second his motion and think that is the best choice these days.

I read over all the posts.  It sounded like maybe an SSd is out of the question depending on how much you want to spend.  What is your computer's mainboard?  Or the brand or model.  Does it support 6Gb/sec do you know ? (SATA III) if it does then you want a SATA III drive as the one you linked in the previous thread is a much slower drive also a green drive I would get a WD black if you can afford it.

Installing a new drive is not necessarily hard but if this is like a dell or some other brand name you will need the install disks.  Or if you have your own copy of windows it is much easier.  You can then put in the new hard drive install windows and then just add that second hard drive to try and pull the files off of it that you want before total failure.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 16 March 2015 - 08:51 PM.

#4 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

Im not sure what an SSD is and yeah I kinda have a budget. My desktop is a Gateway DX4831-01e I bought it in 2009 I believe. I'm not sure how to find out if it supports 6gb/s the current HDD seems to be 3gb/s if im right. 

As far as installing windows I actually have no clue where the disc that came with the pc is. Isn't there a way to downloaded windows and plug in the serial number thats in the sticker of the desktop?

^^ I second his motion and think that is the best choice these days.

I read over all the posts.  It sounded like maybe an SSd is out of the question depending on how much you want to spend.  What is your computer's mainboard?  Or the brand or model.  Does it support 6Gb/sec do you know ? (SATA III) if it does then you want a SATA III drive as the one you linked in the previous thread is a much slower drive also a green drive I would get a WD black if you can afford it.

Installing a new drive is not necessarily hard but if this is like a dell or some other brand name you will need the install disks.  Or if you have your own copy of windows it is much easier.  You can then put in the new hard drive install windows and then just add that second hard drive to try and pull the files off of it that you want before total failure.

Edited by Negotron, 18 March 2015 - 02:36 PM.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:48 PM

You might be able to create your own recovery disks following this guide.

Or you may have to purchase a recovery CD from gateway/acer.  Just put in your serial number and it will check availability.

Once you have the disks simply purchase a new Hard drive and then recover your system using the disks and use the COA on your computer to re-register.

#6 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

How can I tell which hard drives are compatible with my system?

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

It would be kind of difficult to be sure.  But if you tell us the BIOS revision (the screen that pops up before windows usually says something like American Megatrends BIOS rev. xx.xx we might be able to figure out what the bios supports.  My guess is nothing over 2 TB.

#8 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:14 AM

Okay not home right now so as soon as I get that info I'll post it.

By the way is this what u were referring to by wd black I found many different versions but this seems to be 1tb which is what I need. Is this a good one?

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=22-236-625

Edit: Okay I think I got the information so here its what I gathered

Nvidia GeForce GT240 VGA Bios DA2908

Version 70.15.20.00.03

JMicron Technology Corp. PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller BIOSv1.06.65

Intel Management Engine BIOS extension v6.0.3.0019

Edited by Negotron, 18 March 2015 - 06:41 AM.

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

Okay I tried pretty hard to find information on the bios capabilities of your system but I couldn't so lets go about this another way.  Take a look at your current hard drive and provide us the model and any other data on the drive. 

Also how does the current hard drive connect to the mainboard a wide ribbon type cable or an SATA one it is either going to be IDE or SATA take a look here and tell me which one it is

#10 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:40 PM

Took pictures

WD10EADS SATA 32mb cache 1.0tb

http://imgur.com/a/C9eOc#PvI7PPE

Edited by Negotron, 18 March 2015 - 04:44 PM.

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

I would pick this one up for a great price.

#12 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:54 PM

Okay im assuming at that price its got to be one of the best so iill prolly grab it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users