Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 to deliver updates and App downloads via Peer-to-Peer Technology

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:19 PM

Does downloading Windows updates from Microsoft's servers and waiting too long really annoy you? It might not be with the arrival of Windows 10. Microsoft seems to make a major change in Windows 10 to the way it delivers updates for the software.

The leaked version of Windows 10 build 10036 (the current version is build 9926) allows you to grab OS updates from Microsoft as well as other computers, whether they're on your local network or on the Internet.

Yeah, it's a Peer-to-Peer (P2P) technology Microsoft is going to use in order to deliver both app and operating system updates.

Peer-to-Peer, or P2P Technology is usually associated with file sharing services like BitTorrent to download illicit copies of movies and albums, and of course, those endless Linux ISOs you've been downloading.

However, Redmond is embracing the technology as an efficient means to deliver software updates to its users around the globe.

Oh I can't wait to see the mess this will cause.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

I give it not even a month before it crash and burns to the ground.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Velkro

Velkro

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:18 AM

Oh wow. This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

I don't like the way that this sounds.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:31 PM

Does downloading Windows updates from Microsoft's servers and waiting too long really annoy you? It might not be with the arrival of Windows 10. Microsoft seems to make a major change in Windows 10 to the way it delivers updates for the software.

The leaked version of Windows 10 build 10036 (the current version is build 9926) allows you to grab OS updates from Microsoft as well as other computers, whether they're on your local network or on the Internet.

Yeah, it's a Peer-to-Peer (P2P) technology Microsoft is going to use in order to deliver both app and operating system updates.

Peer-to-Peer, or P2P Technology is usually associated with file sharing services like BitTorrent to download illicit copies of movies and albums, and of course, those endless Linux ISOs you've been downloading.

However, Redmond is embracing the technology as an efficient means to deliver software updates to its users around the globe.

Oh I can't wait to see the mess this will cause.

ROFL I know right? Next thing you know your network is sending unknown outbound traffic to someone in Egypt.

#6 INOCservices

INOCservices

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:40 AM

File-sharing has always been both a blessing and a risk. There are always going to be pros and cons. Looking forward to how Windows play this out, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users