Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Assistance

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 flashh4

flashh4

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hey gang, Can windows 8.1 connect to Windows 7 or W8 for remote assistance? I have see where some say "yes" and some say "no" ! So if you have done this please post instructions please ! I have followed W8.1 instructions and no luck getting it to run !!
Used the remote assistance as far as i could figure out. I went as far as getting a "key password" where i am supposed to give it to the user i am helping ! But no where do i see any place to send "key" !!!

Anyone use this program & if so please give instructions !!!!

Thanks
Chuck

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 March 2015 - 10:01 AM.
removed URL to Amazon for Windows 7 disk for sale

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

I am not an expert but I connect to my Mother-in-laws computer.I have 8.1 and she has 7.

I use a free program called TeamViewer and it works great and it's easy to configure.

#3 flashh4

flashh4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:11 AM

Thanks Plumber, it seems to do the job ! I tried it on my other computer and it does what i was trying to do !

Thanks

Chuck

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

Be careful with Teamviewer however. If you use it too often, they'll limit your connection to 5 minutes by computer, and you'll have to wait an additional 5 minutes before reconnecting to another computer. So make sure you use it for your own personal usage and not too much so it'll end up flagged as "Commercial Usage" like they call it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 AAE32

AAE32

• Banned
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

Be careful with Teamviewer however. If you use it too often, they'll limit your connection to 5 minutes by computer, and you'll have to wait an additional 5 minutes before reconnecting to another computer. So make sure you use it for your own personal usage and not too much so it'll end up flagged as "Commercial Usage" like they call it.

Yeah thats very anonnying, Had it before lol.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:53 AM

Have you thought about using Windows Remote Assistance?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:10 PM

I think this is what Chuck tried, but he didn't know how to send the "key" (the password for the remote assistance session).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 flashh4

flashh4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

There is no place to put the key to send it !! So i used Plumber's program he suggested, works like a charm. So MS fix your "remote Assistance" program !

Any other good programs (free) out there ??

Chuck

Edited by flashh4, 17 March 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

The program works, I guess you just need to know your way around it. Did you follow the instructions in dc3's link? Also, Teamviewer is the best, most other programs are paid, however, there's Google Remote Desktop that exist.

unite_blue.png

#10 flashh4

flashh4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

Sorry Aura but the program does not work !!! At least on both my computers and my neighbors we tried all 3 and the "Remote Assistance" on W8.1 & W7 doesn't work ! It comes to a stop after placing the ID # in the box, then there is nothing happening ! So i am using the "TeamWeaver" and very satisfied with it !!

Chuck

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:47 PM

Alright well like I said, try to not abuse Teamviewer or your usage right will be restricted by them. If you ever need help in making that Windows Easy Connect work, let us know :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users