Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Laptop or Tablet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 turkey10

turkey10

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

My friend is looking to buy something, he's not sure if he wants a laptop or a tablet, he has never owned a computer and has very little computer knowledge. He would like something cheap and easy to use, he's not working right now do to an extended illness and I don't think he will be returning to work any time soon so he is on a tight budget. Thanks.

My budget for the new computer is: As cheap as possible 

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? email, web browsing, Facebook.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Just the basics.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? If he did it would be solitaire or simple games like that. 

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Will not be using lots of programs.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Maybe some music and pictures.

Will you be overclocking? No.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

How many monitors are you planning to use? 1.

Do you need peripherals? OS? No.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

Have you thought about maybe a kindle Fire ?  Getting youtube videos to run with flash is a bit of a task but can be done if you follow the directions online.

It will require either wifi or 3g connection to access the internet as there is no RJ45 connector (network cable)  But I think this may be the cheapest ' tablet ' out there.

You could also go to your local goodwill and see if they have any laptops for cheap.

#3 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

The Kindle Fire is what I was going to recommend but I just wanted to see what some people more informed than me thought. Thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users