Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having issues with startup and chkdsk /f

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vashhybrid

vashhybrid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:38 AM

My hard drive is failing and I regularly ruin chkdsk /r to help manage it, today I decided to try chkdsk /f.  While that's normally all fine and dandy, my computer screen is broken all to *censored* and I have no idea if it's actually running or not.  All I know is that it went to a blue screen (like it does in safe mode) and there's POSSIBLY a black box, maybe chkdsk, running.  When it comes up, if I hit escape a couple times it restarts my computer. However, if I hit enter a couple of times the black screen comes up.  So, can anyone tell me if this it's actually running?  I tried using F8 several times to restart my computer normally at boot but it keeps coming back to this.

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2015 - 11:46 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 vashhybrid

vashhybrid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

I suppose I should mention that I'm running Windows 7 as well. If there's anything else I can add that would help please mention it.

#3 vashhybrid

vashhybrid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

Mainly I'd like to figure out how to get my computer to boot up normally. Sorry for all the replies, don't see an edit button

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hello.  I am simply not sure how to help you.  If you cannot see whats going on with the computer - how do you expect to convey a proper ' This is whats happening ' so that you can tell us and we can help you fix the problem.  I am not sure I would ever recommend to anyone to  'regularly' use chkdsk.  If your hard drive is failing you should get a new one otherwise your prone to all sorts of issues including total failure of the hard drive.  We can't give you any advice on what to try unless you can properly tell us whats happening on the screen.

#5 vashhybrid

vashhybrid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

I understand it's a difficult question to answer, but I'm at my wits end here.

I suppose a better question might be this, as I believe that this is the case: How do I get a computer to stop launching in safe mode abs instead launch it normally, even when hitting f8 at and selecting the start Windows normally option seems to send it to safe mode.

I believe it's launched I safe mode due to the colors I see displaying on my monitor and the fact that the Wi-Fi doesn't activate (the button on my laptop stays orange, it never turns blue.)

This all started happening after I ran chkdsk /f C: in the administrator command prompt.

#6 rtccmichael

rtccmichael

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

It's unlikely that it's actually booting into safe mode if you chose "Start Windows Normally". Even though the colors aren't correct and the wi-fi isn't turning on, you more than likely have another issue.

You say your hard drive is failing; why are you continuing to try and use it? You should copy the data to another drive before you lose it. The more you use a failing drive, the less chance you have of recovering your data.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

If you have the windows 7 disk you can try using startup repair options.  use this guide and choose repair.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

FWIW:  Chdsk...won't help you overcome a failing hard drive.  If the drive is failing, it's best to replace it.

Louis

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:46 PM

I second ham's solution!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users