Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Anyone Have Experience with VPNBook

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

I watched a video clip yesterday that told how easy it is for a hacker to set up a bogus wireless network in a public place (Starbucks was the example that was used in this clip) and then have users mistakenly log into it and allow the hacker to view their online activity. They mentioned a free program (VPNBook) that allows you to create a Virtual Private Network with your wireless device so that if you happen to accidentally connect to a hacker's bogus network, all they will see is encrypted data (i.e., garbage) on their monitor. Sounded like a great idea, so I went to the VPNBook web site to check it out. Here is how they describe their product:

Our Free VPN (Virtual Private Network) server is designed with the latest technologies and most advanced cryptographic techniques to keep you safe on the internet from prying eyes and hackers. Our VPN securely routing all your internet traffic through an encrypted tunnel to bypass government censorship, defeat corporate surveillance and monitoring by your ISP. VPNBook strives to keep the internet a safe and free place by providing free and secure PPTP and OpenVPN service access for everyone.

I must admit that I am not much of an expert on security programs like this, but to me it sounds like you are not only running software on your wireless device, but you are also making use of the VPNBook servers to encrypt and route your online data. This makes me wonder why they are offering all of this for free. Do any of you have any knowledge of or experience with VPNBook that could help me decide whether or not to make use of this security program.

Thanks,

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

You connect with your laptop, table, smarphone, ... via a VPN tunnel to their servers. This tunnel is encrypted, so the content can not be read.

All your network connections (like accessing webservers) are send through the VPN tunnel to their servers (encrypted), where it is then forwarded to the servers you want to access (like the webservers I mentioned). This part is not encrypted, unless you use an encrypted protocol like HTTPS.

They claim they are offering this service for free:

This service is Advertisement and Donation based, if you enjoy this service, please consider donating so we can keep this as a free service and add more servers in the future.

And they also offer a paid service.

They also say their Euro servers are based in Romania, saying it is one of the best locations for privacy. I doubt that, I would do more research to validate this claim.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 16 March 2015 - 01:05 PM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:22 PM

Dieder,

Thanks.

VPNBook says that they have servers in Europe, Canada, and the U.S. Is it safe to assume that if I am based in the United States I will be using the U.S.-based servers and not the servers in Europe (i.e., Romania)? Or is it more likely that the functions provided by VPNBook are spread over the servers in all three locations and all three will be used at one time or another?

Bob

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:38 PM

No, you select your VPN server, e.g. which country, by using it's domain name. For example us1.vpnbook.com.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

Sounds like I should be okay using this service if I restrict myself to the U.S. and Canada servers.

Thanks, again.

Bob

#6 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:33 AM

I never tried this service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users