Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk format issue from Win 8 install.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PinMan3

PinMan3

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:20 AM

I was attempting to replace a version of windows 8.1 that was reported here that it had been hacked.  By a friend, I was told to do a clean install after I had repartitioned it and formated to clear all the hacks off.  I understood windows 8 could handle this.  I went into install.  I tried to break down the non reserve area (1TB) into 3 areas, but it would not let me, I understtod it wanted the allocated space removed, so I did.  When I tried to re-allocate a portion it gave me an error due to file status in the reserve area, and as i understood it to say it needed reformating in that area.  It offered to reformat it and I allowed.  Now the install disk claims after it reformated the reserve area is not formated correctly for system files so it will not procede.  I see no area to tell it how to format correctly so without being able to boot that system, how can I correct this to the proper format and then partition it into 3 areas?  I have access on another system to post this and down load something if told to.

AJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:24 AM

Hi PinMan3 :)

I think it would be easier if you format the hard drive into a single partition, install Windows, and then create separate partitions after. This way, Windows 8.1 will install correctly and you'll be able to use the Windows Disk Management utility to create your two other partitions (or you can use a third-party program).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:00 AM

In my opinion it sounds like you could very easily do this:

1. Delete all the partitions and create 1 big one

2. Then you should have 2 partitions "System Reserved and C"

3. Then Delete the C Partition and you should have unallocated space of about 1 TB (Minus the 300 MB for the System Reserved)

4. Take the current unallocated space and divide it by 3

5. Then hit "New" and create 3 new partitions divided equally between the unallocated space.

6. For the third partitions use whatever space is left to ensure you don't accidentally leave unallocated space when you are done.

7. Click on one of the partitions you created as the primary partition.

8. Then hit next and it should proceed in installing Windows 8.1 to the one of the three partitions you created, leaving the other 2 for you to do whatever you want with.

Let me know how this turns out. Keep in mind you can always use another partitioning tool like EaseUS or Vista CD to create the partitions, then just have Windows 8.1 CD create the System Reserved Partition and you select one of the partitions you already created.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

2. Then you should have 2 partitions "System Reserved and C"

3. Then Delete the C Partition and you should have unallocated space of about 1 TB (Minus the 300 MB for the System Reserved)

This isn't how it works. Inside the Windows PE when you install it, partitions doesn't have allocated letters. Also, the letter C: is reserved to the partition where Windows is currently installed. So if that partition is "empty", it won't have the letter C: attributed to it. It's way easier to create a single partition, then install Windows, let it create the 100Mb System Reserved partition and then create your other partitions after.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 PinMan3

PinMan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

There is currently 2 areas. System or reserved, and un-allocated, but since windows formatted the reserved area it states it is in the wrong file type.

Are you suggesting that I'm supposed to remove the reserved area too?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

Here's what I suggest you to do. Press on the Shift + F10 buttons to open the command prompt. In it, enter diskpart. From there, enter list disk. All your drives will be listed. Select your hard drive by entering select disk X where X is the number of the disk when you used the list disk command. From there, enter clean and wait for the command to finish. Once done, you can close the command prompt. You should now have a single, one, unallocated partition on which you can install Windows 8.1 and it'll create the System Reserved partition automatically.

unite_blue.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

In addition to Aura.'s suggestion do one additional command after clean

convert gpt

This will initialize the disk a GPT disk then do the install on the unallocated space. This will create the three partitions

EFI which will either be 100MB or 260MB (for advanced format drives) and formatted FAT32

MSR which is the 128MB Microsoft reserved partition (only visible using Diskpart)

Your Windows Partition.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 March 2015 - 09:37 AM.

#8 PinMan3

PinMan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:45 AM

Here's what I suggest you to do. . Once done, you can close the command prompt. You should now have a single, one, unallocated partition on which you can install Windows 8.1 and it'll create the System Reserved partition automatically.

Sweet I will try it and keep my fingers crossed.  Had no clue I had dos options from the boot install disk.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

You do :) I would also do John's command after mine, since Windows 8.1 should be installed on a GPT partitionned HDD, makes it easier.

unite_blue.png

#10 PinMan3

PinMan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:15 PM

Thank you all so much it worked just as you said. now to figure out why it still crashes, but that's another post. Thanks again.

Edited by PinMan3, 16 March 2015 - 09:15 PM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

No problem PinMan, glad that you got it over with :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users