Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retry, Skip, Cancel CD burning: lost folder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 robwired

robwired

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:13 AM

I apologize if this has been answered. I did a search, and did not find the topic.
I was moving and burning photos from C: drive to D: drive. I had a folder that had subfolders inside it. It came to the end of moving the folder to the D: drive when I got the message to Retry, Skip, Cancel. I clicked Retry, but Retry kept popping up. I clicked Cancel. Now all the files are gone. I followed the path C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning, and found an empty folder. The same with the D: drive obviously.
My question: Where did the folder go?
My computer is old, and I'm saving photos and documents.
Are these files still taking up approximately 700MB of space on my PC, wherever they are?

I have already moved sentimental photos to CDs, so I'm not concerned about recovering these, but if I can, that'd be great.
Will CCleaner free up space by cleaning and deleting these temp(?) files that have disappered? It's a utility I haven't used.
By the way, this is not a common problem on my PC, thankfully, so while this is not urgent, I am curious.
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Robwired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:58 PM

Try checking this folder. Maybe it's there. Replace Username with your user name.

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#3 robwired

robwired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

Thank you, Alvas. I did a copy-and-paste into Explorer, but no luck. It could be because I have XP, so I followed a path that like the one you mentioned. Still no luck, but it's amazing the redundancy of paths to get to the same place.

#4 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:29 AM

If it's XP, it should be in:

C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning

Or just go to C: and try searching for the folder "CD Burning". 

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#5 robwired

robwired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:39 AM

Hi, Alvas. I apologize for not replying faster. I looked in CD Burning, and there was nothing in there. However, it did happen again, and I made a discovery that, as elementary as it may seem, may be of use. Again, same situation -- burning folder with subfolders, and the Retry, Skip, Cancel option came up again. "Retry" was highlighted, so I clicked on it. Nothing happened. This time I clicked Skip instead of Cancel as I did before. Same thing happened -- folder disappeared. But this time, I left everything as it was and did a quick search. One result was helpful. It said that when a folder disappears after Retry, Skip, Cancel, that it is sent to the Recycle Bin. I looked, and there it was! I hit Restore. This time I burned the subfolders as individual folders. One folder did give me the now familiar three-word message. I clicked Retry on the one folder, and it resumed burning. My guess is that when it was a subfolder, I couldn't click on the specific subfolder, so any command to the folder was global. Skip or Cancel made it disappear. Into the Recycle Bin.
So I'm now saving individual folders and not placing them in one folder. And that seems to have done the trick for an aging computer.
Again, thanks for your suggestions, Alvas.

Best,

Robert

#6 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:40 AM

Glad to be at your disposal.

SYSTEM SPECS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users