Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having problems connecting to Wi-Fi with HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Twinbird

Twinbird

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

Recently my laptop (HP Pavilion g6 running Windows 7 x64 home premium) has started having difficulty connecting to a network. Currently it's connected with no problems, but yesterday, for example, it had a large red X over the wifi bars and would tell me an ethernet cable is unplugged. I would run the windows network diagnostic and it would work again afterwards, and then later (after leaving it alone, and it enters sleep mode) it's disconnected again with a large red X over the wifi bars (in the task tray). This would happen when I try to connect to the school network, or a friend's network, or my own home network. The last thing I did to was use this tool: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/ and ran the "Repair Winsock and DNS Cache " option which fixed it, but then later it was having problems again. Could it be a software problem or is my wifi chip in the laptop starting to die?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

This is for Windows 8 but also applies to Windows 7. See if unchecking Allow computer to turn off device is unchecked. Do not use the Powershell method.

#3 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. That option is checked, but the computer went to sleep with no problems and started up again and connected to WiFi, it's a laptop so I don't want the power to be drained or the laptop to get too hot, since it's in my backpack a lot. I actually have not had the problem reoccur yet, it just happened once after I ran that "Repair Winsock and DNS Cache" option I mentioned and never again... I did notice an exclamation mark in device manager next to "teredo tunneling pseudo-interface" though, could this be a problem?

WKoAxwb.jpg

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

This is in your Non Plug and Play driver section. It has to do with IPv6 compatiblity over IPv4. Do you have ZoneAlarm Installed? If you do, I would leave it.

To get rid of the yellow exclamation mark try the following.

Right click the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface  and select Update Driver Software.

Select Browse my computer for driver software then Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > Network Adapter > Microsoft > Microsoft teredo tunneling adapter

#5 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

Sorry for the late response, I was distracted with school work, I do not have ZoneAlarm installed. When I try to install the driver I get this following error:

vfoFAkB.jpg

Edited by Twinbird, 24 March 2015 - 09:46 AM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:11 AM

Install latest version of the wireless card driver also right click "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface " and select Uninstall restart your computer to make Windows install driver for Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface.

Posted Image

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

If your internet connection is fine, then I would leave it as the tunneling adapter is for IPv6 compatibility. If you want to eliminate the yellow exclamation mark see this page, first post for a possible solution. See if the two services mentioned are started and set to automatic.

#8 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

Okay, thanks for the responses guys, I'll try your suggestions. My internet connection is fine now though.

#9 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

Sorry to revive this thread again, but the issue is back :( As stated in the OP, there is a red X over the wifi bars, I click on "run diagnostic" and then afterwards I get this message:
 QYynGQp.jpg
and the wifi is working again, until it decides to stop working again (usually after a few hours of use or after putting the laptop to sleep and coming back to it a few hours later). I've tried everything that has been mentioned in this thread already. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:33 PM

If your are connecting with Ethernet, right click the network adapter in Device Manager and select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware ID's. Copy and paste the first line in your next post.

#11 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. I always use WiFi, I haven't plugged an Ethernet cable into this laptop in years actually :P

Here's the first line for Hardware ID's for my Wifi adapter, if it's any help: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_1461103C&REV_01

Here's is a list of everything under 'Network Adapters:'
pj3tIiM.jpg

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:06 PM

Sorry, I got a little confused because it was mentioned that an Ethernet cable was unplugged in the first post. For the wireless driver go here. Download the version shown below. Click on the green download button. It will take a little bit before the download begins. Unzip to a folder on your desktop. In the folder delete all files without the x suffix. Those are the 32bit drivers

athr.sys

athrext.cat     Delete these

netathr.inf

. Create a restore point before doing the following. Edit: It would be a good idea to create a System Repair Disk if you do not have one already. Right click the Wireless device select properties. Under the driver tab.

1. Click the Update Driver... button.
  2. On the How do you want to search for driver software? window, click on Browse my computer for driver software.
  3. In the next window labeled Browse for driver software on your computer, click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, located at the bottom of the window.
  4. Click the Have Disk... button located under the text box.
  5. Click the Browse... button on the Install From Disk dialog box that appeared. Browse to the inf file in the folder you unzipped.

Release: 2014-11-25   [November '14]
File: win7-10.0.0.303-whql.zip

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 April 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#13 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the reply! I've done what you suggested, so far no problems :)

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

Good to hear. Fingers crossed.

#15 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:37 PM

Alright, this seems like a strange situation. When I have the laptop plugged in, this problem never happens.

HOWEVER, when it's running off battery power only, it happens a lot more frequently (wifi bars would show red X, I can't fix it, it's like the wifi chip just decided to shut off). I have to restart my laptop for it to work again (for a couple mins longer, until wifi doesn't work again).

So what exactly could be different when my laptop is on battery power that would cause my wifi to stop working after awhile (and then work again when restarted).

Edited by Twinbird, 08 April 2015 - 04:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users