Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8.1 media player

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gilmister

gilmister

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

Hello everyone,

after updating windows, WMP is not reconizing .zip files. It worked before the last batch of patches. Micro Soft claims they don't know anything about it. I'm

using Win 8.1. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? It seems it's only affecting Win 8.1  The latest patches didn't affect Win 7. Any information would be

appreciated. Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:14 PM

Do you have 7-Zip installed on your computer?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 gilmister

gilmister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

Thank you for your response, whether you use an unzipper like 7-zip, or Winzip, or any other third party unzipper is irrelevent. The question is why did the last batch of updates stop Windows Media Player from reconizing .zip files? If you drill down through the Default File Associations you will see it supports .zip file extensions as well as the Codecs. Having said that: then why is the Extract button greyed out? But thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm aware of third party unzippers.

Edited by gilmister, 16 March 2015 - 06:23 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

Did you change the Properties of a zip folder then browse and choose WMP instead?

Tekken

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

Just to check, are you failing to open zip files within the file explorer, or is it that you are unable to open them when trying to go in through the file browser of windows media player. If you can still get into zip files within the file browser then just copy out their internal files and folders and then play them from within normal folders.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 gilmister

gilmister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:09 PM

Hello Folks, after further research I found the problem. When the last batch of updates were installed it installed a second DLL.exe in WMP that was causing the program to break before it could read the correct DLL. I found it by dumb luck. :thumbsup:

Edited by gilmister, 18 March 2015 - 10:09 PM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:04 AM

Glad you found the culprit and thanks for posting back the solution. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#8 gilmister

gilmister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

No problem, I'm a big fan of Bleeping Computer over the years. I've learned alot.

Best Regards,

Gil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users