Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to enable the F8 key to start Safe Mode in Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

I am trying to follow this Tutorial which involves using the following command line

'bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy'.  However, every time I try, with a range of variations, the response is  that there is no such command as 'bcdedit'.  Running it, as suggested, produces no response.

Can someone help, please?

clayto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

Did you use an elevated command prompt by typing CMD in the Search box and Right click > Run as Adminstrator?

What do you get if you simply type bcdedit /? at the command prompt? bcdedit.exe should be located in C:\Windows\System32.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 March 2015 - 02:24 PM.

#3 reast82

reast82

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

at an admin command prompt type

shutdown /r /o /t 5

/r means restart

The /o option is new in W8 and gives you a bunch of start up choices - you'll find start in safe mode and the like.

/t  5 means restart in 5 seconds -- without it you wait 30 seconds I think -- That's like 57 years when you're troubleshooting :)

use /t 0 for right now!

#4 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:32 AM

Many thanks

In Admin.Command Prompt I get 'bcdedit is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'.  If I just enter 'bcdedit' I get the same response.  What does that tell you about my system?

I am just going to try the Shutdown tip now.

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:15 AM

I tried the Shutdown etc. tip and yes, it did take me to the Start up choices.  I have been there before by (I think) holding either Ctrl or Shift as I click Restart.  Clickinging on 'Return to Widows' is a bit of a disaster as my Tablet freezes with a black blank screen and I have to turn the power off to restart, which is a hassle now because the major Start up problem which I used to have has returned, now about 15 minutes delay but at one stage it was over an hour! (in the end I had to pay a technician to put it right, which he did ---- in a reasonable time for a modest fee, but I don't want to be repeatedly having to do that).    

Another related issue is that I have been able to Start up in Safe mode but not in Safe mode with Network..

clayto

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:59 AM

I am not familiar with Windows 8 Tablets. Can you verify if bcdedit.exe is located in C:\Windows\System32.

Windows 8 has a Refresh feature. That would allow you to fix the OS without losing data but you would need to reinstall any programs.

#7 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hello John

Yes, I have found bcdedit.exe in the the System 32 folder.

If I click 'open' a window  with a line or two of text opens and closes almost instantly.

If I click 'run' a larger window opens with much more text but does not stay long enough to be read.

I often get these windows opening and closing too fast to be read.

What does all this mean?

I am planning to try the Startup Repair Tool again and make a note of the 'question' I didn't know the answer to, in the hope someone can tell me what I should enter at that point. 

clayto

Edited by clayto, 17 March 2015 - 04:28 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:23 PM

It could be a hardware problem. What happens when you navigate to the bcdedit.exe file in the system32 folder and then Right click Run as Adminstrator? Please disregard this, I was thinking of something else.

Edit: Have you tried doing a System Restore to a date before the problem occured. If you do a System Restore, then copy any files you downloaded to the desktop since that Restore Point to your Documents folder.

Edit Edit: Type CMD in the search box then Right click Run as Administrator. Type the following command.

sfc /VERIFYFILE=C:\windows\system32\bcdedit.exe

What is the output?

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 March 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#9 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:25 AM

Hi John

'Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation'    That is what I get.   By the way, I could not get the Command Prompt by using 'edit' in Search which returned 'config.net system file not suitable for running ......'  Instead I used my usual method which is:  Windows key x 'secret menu' Command Prompt.

clayto

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:44 AM

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Edit: means I edited my post after I initially posted. Do the following.

Type CMD in the search box. Then Right click and select Run as Administrator. The window that appears should have the following prompt

C:\Windows\System32

Now type:

sfc /VERIFYFILE=C:\windows\system32\bcdedit.exe   <enter>

What is the output

#11 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:50 AM

The command is  bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy    

"bcdedit"  in parenthisis ( "*** " ) is wrong, what are you entering into the CMD window?

Edited by Andrei_V, 18 March 2015 - 07:55 AM.

#12 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

John:    At first I got 'you must be an Administrator etc ....' so I used my method of for activating CMD and I got 'Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.'

Anrdrei  _ V:  I don't use  

"

"    

clayto

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:35 PM

Using your method, Windows key + X (Command Prompt (admin) and type

bcdedit /?

What is the output? You still get a error? When the command window opens, what is the full prompt shown?

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 March 2015 - 04:35 PM.

#14 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:54 PM

A lot on info about Boot Manager and Boot Loader.  Not an error message.  It is a pity copy and paste are not supported. I think it will be in W10?

clayto

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

If not error message came up then do the Windows+X again (Command prompt) (admin) and type

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

You can copy and paste the above by highlighting the above and pressing the Ctrl+C key. To paste into the command window right click on the little prompt icon in the upper menu bar of the command window and select Edit>Paste. Then press enter.

Edit: If you want to copy the output on the command window you can right click the little prompt icon and Select All. This will highlight everything. Then right click Edit > Copy

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 March 2015 - 09:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users