Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"ALT" key randomly becomes "Stuck"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ampix0

Ampix0

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:55 AM

This is not specifically a Windows 8 issue but I wasn't sure where to post this. I have been struggling with this for over a month now. Up until yesterday I thought I had fixed it, I "fixed it" for three days and now its back.

I first posted about my issues here: http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/2xah2g/strange_keyboardmouse_issues_coming_from_an_it_guy/

And most recently posted about it here: http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/2z4v14/computer_behaves_as_alt_key_is_being_held_down/

It looked like my computer was fixed for about 3-4 days and it just started happening again.

Issue:

After a random amount of time (though often seems to happen after playing a game more predictably) my computer behaves as if the ALT key is being held down. I can't right click, I can't type, all links in the browser get downloaded instead of opened, the computer becomes essentially worthless. It took me a long time to figure out that what I think is happening is the "ALT" key is getting "stuck".

What I have tried:

The issues is NOT the keyboard. I even bought a new one to make sure.

SS of my Sticky Keys Settings: http://i.imgur.com/8L9g3We.png [2]

I have reset my Bios

I reinstalled windows, but I did it through the built in setting in Windows 8 to reset Windows and NOT keep files. Which I know isnt as good as a full format.

I have swapped USB ports.

PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE KNOWS WHATS GOING ON

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:16 PM

I can only think of some random infection that got in the system without you knowing ..........

The Malware Removal team will check your basic system, and look for any minor infection that can cause this.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide .

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running "FRST" which will create two logs.

When you have done that, Post your logs (as directed) in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs , then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them.
A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one, to prevent others answering incorrectly.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users