Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recovering browsing history

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PhenioxBurning

PhenioxBurning

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:12 AM

I am running windows 8.1 and I need to find out when I did a websearch from a few months ago. I know the information is stored somewhere cause i can find the dsn display. how can i find out this information. 

I dont even know if this is possible cause i clear my history often. 

Edited by PhenioxBurning, 15 March 2015 - 11:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

The chances of finding any months old web search on your computer are probably zero.

I don't know what Google, if that is your search engine of choice, would tell you. Google definitely stores your activity but whether you can view months old activity...I don't know.

Some info here....Google Web & App Activity - Accounts Help

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 PhenioxBurning

PhenioxBurning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:43 AM

So windows 8 dosent have a index.dat file but how does it store the info?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:20 PM

Some info relating to your question....HTG Explains: Does Clearing Your Browser History Really Delete It?

QUOTE:

There are an abundance of guides that tell you to locate index.dat files and use third party software to open and view them.  Index.dat files do indeed contain logs of websites visited, but they aren’t useful if the browsing history has been cleared.

The biggest problem is that modern browsers no longer use index.dat files; the last browser to use them was Internet Explorer 9.  So, we ran some tests with Internet Explorer 9, just to see if this method was useful for someone who’s running outdated software.  Using Index.dat Suite, we were able to recover some browsing history, but after clearing it, the data inside the index.dat file disappeared.

If you need to grab the browsing history off of a computer before it gets cleared, the index.dat file makes for a good repository of sites visited, but it’s useless if the history is cleared before you can get to it.  If you want to investigate index.dat files for yourself, click the link above to download the necessary software, and click the “View History” icon to have the program automatically scan for index.dat files and list the sites your computer has visited.

Where else can my history be recovered from?

It’s worth remembering that your entire internet browsing history is stored somewhere, whether temporarily or permanently, and whether by your ISP, the government, or whoever else decides to cache your list of browsed sites.

Typically, a warrant for the information would be required to get your ISP to release the details.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 PhenioxBurning

PhenioxBurning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

ok thx thats what i had already learned from my research last night. though i would see if anyone knew a fix. again thx for your time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users