Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not recognize wireless network

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 tyl604

tyl604

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:03 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 w 30gig drive and 6 gigs of free space. Running WinXp and Explorer 6.0. Pentium.

It has always worked OK with a D-link AirPlus DWL-650 air card. But the laptop has been unused for a couple of years. I would like to fire it up again.

Now it will not see the Comcast wireless network even if I am sitting in the same room with the router/modem furnished by Comcast. If I right click the icon near the right side of the tray and punch repair it says cannot complete because following action cannot be completed - "Connecting to the wireless network." Down below near the tray the balloon says Wireless network unavailable.

I have also installed a 2Wire 802.11g USB wireless adaptor and it will not see the Comcast network either. Both 2Wire and D-Link report no network available.

And then from time to time magically it will on its own begin to see both Home-XXXX and InfinityWiFi (both from Comcast) for some reason. It will seem to connect to the Home-XXX network (I use this for my other wireless computers at home) when I put in the encryption key for Comcast. And it seems to get on the internet, although I am not 100% sure - I seem to be able to call up AOL.com but then the connection is dropped. Have tried to update Windows XP while it seemed to be working but no luck.

So why cannot it see the wireless network any longer.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:44 PM

Have tried to update Windows XP while it seemed to be working but no luck.

Note that XP has no current updates, as it is not supported by Microsoft any more.

Can you connect with an Ethernet Cable (not wireless) from the router to the computer ?? Usually the best option ......

If so, what is the result ??

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:53 AM

XP still offers "monthly updates" in the form of the Malicious Software Rmoval Tool, see .http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx .

Louis

#4 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:32 PM

I did try the connection direct from the Comcast modem and am not sure that I did it properly. It did not work and the "network cable unplugged" message on the right side of the tray never went away. Here is what I did.

There is still a wire coming out of the modem which terminates in a box with eight matching wire slots on the bottom and has a retaining clip on the top. I think this is an Ethernet connection but not sure. I am pretty sure this is the same wire I used a while back to connect my new laptop when a wired connection was required to install the wireless Canon printer - but not 100% sure.

So I tried it and either it is not the proper wire or it did not work.

So why would sporadically the Inspiron actually see two networks and then 99% of the time not see them?

Ham - not able to connect to internet so not able to update XP.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:26 AM

If its a signal problem on both wireless interface, try removing then reinstalling the drivers first then insert the USB wifi device (Dlink and or 2Wire) and connect manually again by your home network SSID.

Tekken

#6 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:09 PM

Jhayz - that worked.  Thanks so much for your help.  It is running again.

Much appreciated.

#7 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:15 PM

Well, looks like I spoke too fast. It was online working perfectly and I downloaded AVG. When AVG finished it needed to reboot the laptop to complete the installation. That was the last time the laptop has recognized the wireless network.

I have gone into Device Manager twice more and deleted the drivers for the DLink air card and for the 2Wire device. Then reboot and they come back to life.

But it no longer sees a wireless network.

What the heck is going on? Why did it see the networks after I deleted the drivers one time and thereafter not again?

What do I do now?

Thanks.

Well after three hours it came back again while I was plugging and unplugging the usb for the 2Wire device. Maybe there is some sort of conflict having two devices at the same time - DLink air card and 2Wire device (which I assume is also an air card since it has an antenna attached); is it OK to have both plugged in at the same time? I cannot say exactly what I did but the DLink was still plugged in and I was getting ready to delete the driver on the 2Wire again so I unplugged it - however, I had to plug it in again in order to see it in device driver. When I plugged it in again suddenly the laptop started bringing up the network and it connected.

And now it is blind again - does not see the network. I will keep working on it.

ok - SO I unplugged the 2Wire USB, waited a minute or two and plugged it back in. Bingo, laptop recognizes the network and I am back on the internet.

So what is happening?

Edited by tyl604, 17 March 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:39 AM

So what is happening?

I'm not sure but honestly I do not use both wireless card at the same time for network connections. What's the Dlink aircard for since the other is working correctly?

Tekken

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:14 AM

You do not want to use the Aircard and 2wire adapter at the same time. You can pull the Aircard from the PCMCIA slot. That card is obsolete as it is only 802.11b. Stick with the 2-wire adapter. If the Aircard is shown in Device Manager, right click and disable it. Is this the 2-wire adapter you are using?

#10 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

I responded yesterday but it disappeared so here it is again.  DLilnk aircard now removed.  The 2Wire adapter is close but not exactly what you have pictured.  The booklet says 802.11g USB wireless adapter and the installation CD says Version 4.0  2007.

I have only 512 mb of RAM and find that AOL page will load but will not run at all.  I downloaded IE 7 to replace IE 6 and installed it; it said to reboot and click on the new desktop icon which is named Internet Explorer Troubleshooting; however, the new icon will not run.  So I appear to be stuck with IE 6.

So current status:

Networks will be recognized if I unplug the USB to the 2Wire device and then plug back in.  Time after time.  I get knocked off pretty frequently so I do a lot of unplugging and replugging.

Internet will load.  Google.com will load and actually run; have looked up some things on it.  Loaded AVG successfully from Google.com and have current virus protection.

AOL will load but will not run; AOL email will not load at all so I cannot read emails..

IE7 will not completely load because IE Troubleshooting icon will not function.

So maybe 512 RAM is so small that I am wasting my time???   Maybe IE 7 requires more RAM?   I can use the internet via Google.com but cannot do any email?  I should give up and donate the laptop to Goodwill?

What do I do now?

Edited by tyl604, 19 March 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:02 PM

512MB on XP is pushing the limits. You should have at least 1GB but your CPU is at the bottom of the pack right now. If you can afford it, I would get a new computer.

With the 2-wire plugged in and connected go to Device Manager. Right click the wireless adapter and select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line. An updated driver may help.

Disable the ability of Windows to turn off USB. See this.

I would avoid IE6 all together and use Firefox or Chrome. I believe you will notice much better performance with those browsers.

If all you do is browse the internet and do email then Puppy linux would run great on this computer. You can burn an iso to CD and see how you like it. It runs in RAM and off the CD. You can even use a USB flash drive with persistance so all your settings are saved.  Here is the latest version.

#12 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

Power shutdown for the USB is cancelled. I tried to load Chrome and it will not load. Will try Firefox although I would rather use Chrome.

Moving forward. Thanks for the help. Any idea about Chrome? It must not be compatible with my XP.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

I am not sure why Chrome refused to download. One thing may be that the CPU does not support the SSE2 instruction set. After Chrome 35 only CPU's with SSE2 are supported. You can download and run CPUz to see if your CPU has SSE2. If it does not then you cannot run Chrome but you can run Firefox.

CPU-Z%20results%20sample%20with%20SSE2%2

#14 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:54 PM

I downloaded Firefox and it seems to work fine.  Even checked my email on AOL.  So I am on the road.  Thanks for the help.  Seems to be working OK now.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:18 PM

That is good to hear. I would add two extensions to Firefox. Tools > Addons. Click Extensions. In the search box type the follwing addons. Then click install.

Noscript  (stops bad scripts)  - It may take a bit to learn. You can whitelist sites by Right clicking the Noscript icon and Temporarily Allowing or Allowing certain scripts. After awhile you can learn which scripts to allow and which to block.

Adblock Plus  (Removes Ads - another malware attack vector) Under Adblock Plus options  > Filter Preferences you can get two lists - Easy List and Adblock Warning Removal List. You can uncheck show unobtrusive ads if you want to block everything.

Ghostery - Blocks Cookies and Trackers

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 March 2015 - 08:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users