Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for game recommendations...but there is a catch.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 simALITY

simALITY

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:08 AM

I'm broke.  I have a crappy laptop, and minimal internet connection.  But in the past six months or so I have gotten into computer games.  They are inexpensive and I get hours (often weeks, and sometimes months) of fun out of just one purchase.

At first I was playing pretty much anything and everything that came with strong enough recommendations.  I went from Saints Row 3, to Syberia, to Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (Arcanum), to FTL, to Baldur's Gate (1 & 2 & EE), to Saints Row IV to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR), to Bioshock.  But now that I've gotten a feel for what I like and what I don't like, I've become a bit picky which has left me unsure of what to invest my time in next.

So now I'm looking for game recommendations that meet the following criteria:

1) Is old and/or has low graphics requirements.  Saints Row the 3rd is the upper limit of what my computer can handle.  Actually its somewhat above the upper limit.  The entire time I played, the game kept lagging up and my machine was almost too hot to handle. 

2) The protagonists should be heroes.  Or at least good guys.  I'm not one of those people who enjoys being evil in a game setting.  In fact for me, its a huge turnoff. I truly didn't find SR3 entirely enjoyable because of all the random acts pointless violence required by the side quests and minigames.  

3) Single Player Mode. Again, going online to game is not an option.  I have minimal Internet and can't afford an upgrade at this time. So basically I'm looking at console games for my computer.

4) Fun With a Purpose.  I definitely prefer games with a storyline or a least a dynamic purpose.  I dabbled with Uplink and FTL but couldn't get into them. With Uplink I was like, "Okay this is cool, but should I be looking for something in particular?"   FTL told me up front that I was transporting goods to a rebel base (or something like that) but there was no update as to how the "rebellion" was going, which caused me to lose interest.

------

Of the games I've played so far, I've probably enjoyed KotOR and Arcanum the most but for different reasons.  

To me, KotOR had just the right amount of hand holding for an open world environment.  It generally wasn't difficult to figure out where I needed to go next. I also liked how the consequences of the side quests were integrated into the main quest on each planet. 

Arcanum, on the other hand, is -- in many ways -- a total grind to play.  But the lore of the world was so deep I almost didn't mind chopping though the same pack of wolves for the 50th time while crossing the continent on foot for what felt like the hundredth.  There is a depth to Arcanum that exceeds even that of the Forgotten Realms. But I digress.

So...that's what I like and that's what I'm looking for.  Any recommendations on what I should play next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

If you would post a Speccy report that would help in determining if your computer has the horsepower for the game recommended.

However.... I am a huge fan of the Mechwarrior series, and it is really addicting. The older ones are DOS based, you would need Windows 98, or possibly play through Dosbox or somesuch. Of course, the graphics are not comparable to modern games, but I get so involved in the action after a while I don't notice. Mechwarrior 3 is excellent.

Microsoft then purchased the game, and produced Mechwarrior 4 Vengence, Mercenaries, and Black Knight. All those run on NTFS. Many of these you can get free, so check around. For example:

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/mechwarrior-4-mercenaries-3ak

You can also search and find lots of hits; the Mechwarrior Online game is a spinoff of the single player series, and IMHO, boring because there is no plot, no interaction or the stealth and planning required to win the mission. Just studying how to set up your battle machine is a skill in itself.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 benjerome2

benjerome2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:31 PM

Have you tried to saints row 2? It is more story driven than the 3rd one and is somewhat like GTA in some aspects.

#4 dotsnake

dotsnake

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:38 PM

Mount and Blade: Warband if you want to try medieval.

It has multiplayer, but its success is singleplayer.

Technically, there is no good or bad, you can join any kingdom and fight for them, you can be a Lord or a King (I played 460 hours, only been a king once for a short period of time, my enemies rushed on me, other neutral kingdom went against me, and my allies gave me a way out, join them, but I get to keep the castle, which I did. Think of it as Game of Thrones, and there are plenty of mods such as Game of thrones. 

Graphic is low, or high if you download graphical mods.

Plenty of things to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users