Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help, my monitor display suddenly looks like this. Graphics card?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hamlet101

hamlet101

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:44 AM

See attachment.

Hi everyone.

I was just using my old desktop (core2duo, nvidia 8800), and suddenly the display went as shown in the attachment.  I tested with another monitor and got the same problem.

When I reboot, even the initial (pre-Windows) screen output is like this.

Any ideas what could be wrong, how to fix?

I'm on Windows 10 tech preview.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:22 AM

This definitely sounds like your graphics card is at fault. Do you get in the BIOS as well or only when Windows loads up? I would try updating your Nvidia Software and Drivers and see if that helps (From here and here). You can also find the Graphics Card in Device Manager and try updating it. If that doesn't work, you can uninstall it from device manager and upon reboot, windows should reinstall it automatically. Also another thing to note is that Windows 10 Technical Preview is fairly unstable and just the fact that you are using it might be your problem. I have Windows 10 Technical Preview as a Dual OS but I always back up my primary OS (Windows 8.1) To ensure that Windows 10 doesn't corrupt it in some way. Try the solutions I mentioned and let us know what happens. If none of that works, don't worry, eventually an expert will come on who knows a lot more than me ;)

-Benjamin

#3 hamlet101

hamlet101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:16 AM

Thanks Benjamin,

I did try updating then uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, to no avail.  The screen is corrupted on the bios too, before it even gets to Windows 10.

The device manager flagged my 8800GT card with the message 'windows has disabled this because it reported an error - code 43' - or words to that affect.  Reinstalling the driver and I got the same message.

#4 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:21 AM

Hmm... Since your screen is corrupted in the BIOS this could mean that your graphics card is physically failing, or that it needs to be reseeded. Are you running a Laptop or Desktop and are you using VGA or HDMI? Code 43 refers to when Windows stops using a device because it is flagging errors which should be a key for you. I need a little bit more information about your system to help you  further so follow these instructions:

Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

Next, click Download from Piriform (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    JmYsp.png

Now, in the menu bar at the top left, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    publish.png

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

copydi.png

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the replyji.png button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Make sure you paste that link in your next reply. Hope it helps,

-Benjamin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users