Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kchaple

kchaple

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:39 PM

This is a weird one and I'm usually pretty good at solving these myself. Here's what happens... when I start my computer and XP loads, once everything is loaded and good to go, if I right click anyway, the contextual menu disappears almost immediately. The cursor moves normally but there's something erratic about clicking. If I click the start menu, it immediately disappears or gets stuck on the first thing the cursor goes over. If it goes over log out, the task bar disappears for a second, then everything comes back on. It's almost as if the left mouse button is stuck down or something. My way around it is to press the "Home" media key on my keyboard so an IE window pops up. I close that and everything's fine. Very strange. This is on my other computer, not this one. I built the computer about 7 years ago myself and only just recently loaded XP Pro onto it. Any ideas? I'm having a lot of problems with drivers for my audio and video cards, too, but can work around those for now. I'll get to the static coming from my speakers (probably an audio card issue since it's old) another time.
Thanks in advance,
Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:13 PM

That could either be drivers, the port or the mouse.

Try some of these troubleshooting ideas:

1. Change the drivers.
2. Change the mouse.
3. Check the port by plugging in another mouse into that port.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 kchaple

kchaple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:46 AM

Well I bought a PCI wireless network card tonight. I put that in, got it all installed. Then I turned off the computer and moved it onto a desk where one of our really old computers had been. Apparently in the move the problem fixed itself. I dunno how or why considering that wasn't the first time I'd unplugged the mouse. You won't hear me complaining though.
I still get a nasty static on my speakers but I think I'm just gonna get a new sound card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users