Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Getting Started With Vertcoin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:32 AM

These days I often see Bitcoin listed as an accepted form of payment/donation around the web. It is the most well known of a growing number of digital currencies. To discover others check out ( http://cryptocoin.io/ ). These currencies are far to unstable for me to trust any of my nearly inexistent money to them, but are they still interesting. Aside from buying coins there are other ways to get involved like accepting them, or mining them. I've read a few blog posts, seen a few youtube videos, and out of curiosity I've decided to dip my toe in the water ever so briefly for fun. Like I said before, I'm not interesting in buying coins. I also have nothing people would pay for using them, so mining is my only option.

The more popular a currency the less profitable the mining is, so I've decided to go with vertcoin which is not as popular as Bitcoin, very new, and orientated towards being mined on typical user hardware. I don't wish to install a miner or wallet on my regular OS as I'm just wanting to try it out a few times, so I've decided to make a customized Lubuntu live-cd to host the miner. This way I can run it either on my computer, or in a virtual machine. The idea being that I can do it in the
background while I'm doing other things on the computer. I couldn't find any vertcoin wallets for Linux, but there is one for Windows. Given I'm just trying this out a few times I don't really care to take the time (or use the bandwidth) to download the blockchain (which I belive is over 800 megabytes?), or spend money to purchase it on a disc (assuming I could even find anyone doing that yet), so I just signed up for an online wallet from ( https://wallet.coinme.ca/#/signin ).You
should not use the online wallet for pooled mining
(which is what I'm going to do), because there is a known issue that might prevent you from spending the vertcoins you mine. I'm not planning on spending them; if I were to get serious about mining I'd setup a wallet on my Windows installation instead, but I'm just planning on testing this out once or twice so this way is more practical; I just need the wallet address so I can test the commands.

The purpose of this post is just to share instructions for installing CPUminer-vert on Lubuntu 14.04 X86-64, creating a Lubuntu 14.04 X86-64 live-cd for running cpuminer-vert, and using cpuminer-vert. If you are more serious about this stuff than I am you may want to use the miner linked to on the official vertcoin site; I didn't use it because it's a gpu miner, and I'm not planning on installing graphics drivers. Plus everyone has a cpu, but lots of people only have integrated graphics processors so I figured this would be better to cover.

How To Create A Customized Lubuntu 14.04 Live-cd For Vertcoin CPU Mining:

Steps:
1. Pop a Lubuntu live-cd into your computer, and boot it up.
2. Type in your terminal-emulator, "sudo apt-get update".
3. Type in your terminal-emulator, "sudo apt-get install squashfs-tools".
4. Type in your terminal-emulator, "sudo mkdir -p /media/lubuntu/example/extracted". Replace the extraction path with a path not on the live-media unless you have lots of ram. (I used an empty hard drive partition.)
5. Type in your terminal-emulator, "sudo unsquashfs -f -d /media/lubuntu/example/extracted /media/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs".
6. Type in your terminal-emulator, "sudo mount --bind /dev /media/lubuntu/example/extracted/dev".
7. Type in your terminal-emulator, "sudo mount --bind /proc /media/lubuntu/example/extracted/proc".
8. Type in your terminal-emulator, "sudo mount --bind /sys /media/lubuntu/example/extracted/sys".
9. Type in your terminal-emulator, "sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /media/lubuntu/example/extracted/etc/resolv.conf".
10. Type in your terminal-emulator, "sudo chroot /media/lubuntu/example/extracted".
11. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "apt-get update".
12. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "useradd username -m -s /bin/bash". Replace "username" with the username you want for your user account.
13. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "passwd username". This adds a password.
14. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "adduser username sudo". This adds the user to the sudoers group.
15. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "apt-get install gawk".
16. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "apt-get install autotools-dev".
17. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "apt-get install automake".
18. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "apt-get install build-essential".
19. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev".
20. Open Mozilla Firefox, but don't close your terminal emulator! Go to "https://github.com/Bufius/cpuminer-vert", and click "Download ZIP". (It's on the far right-side.)
21. Once the download completes (which should be quick) you can exit Mozilla Firefox.
22. In your terminal emulator, open a new tab, and type "sudo unzip /home/lubuntu/Downloads/cpuminer-vert-master.zip -d /media/lubuntu/example/extracted/root/cpuminer-vert".
23. Close the tab; you should be returned to the chroot tab.
24. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "cd /root/cpuminer-vert/cpuminer-vert-master".
25. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "./autogen.sh".
26. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "./configure CFLAGS="-O3" ".
27. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "make".
28. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "mv -i -t /bin /root/cpuminer-vert/cpuminer-vert-master".
29. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "rm -frd /root/cpuminer-vert".
30. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "mv /bin/cpuminer-vert-master /bin/cpu-miner-vert".
31. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "apt-get clean".
32. Using your terminal-emulator, within the chroot type "exit".
33. Using your terminal-emulator type, "sudo umount /media/lubuntu/example/extracted/dev".
34. Using your terminal-emulator type, "sudo umount /media/lubuntu/example/extracted/proc".
35. Using your terminal-emulator type, "sudo umount /media/lubuntu/example/extracted/sys".
36. Using your terminal-emulator type, "sudo mksquashfs /media/lubuntu/example/extracted /media/lubuntu/example/filesystem.squashfs".
37. Using your terminal-emulator type, "sudo chown lubuntu /media/lubuntu/example/filesystem.squashfs".
38. Using your terminal-emulator type, "sudo apt-get install isomaster". Now close the terminal-emulator.
39. From the LXDE menu, open Run, type "isomaster", and press "enter". This will launch ISO Master; there is no menu entry for it.
40. Using ISO Master go to "File", "Open", and browse for the Lubuntu ISO you'll be modifying. (I had mine stored on the same hard drive I put my "extracted" folder on.)
41. Using ISO Master, navigate to "/casper" in the Lubuntu ISO file, click on "filesystem.squashfs", and lastly click "Remove".
42. Using ISO Master, browse for your custom "filesystem.squashfs" (using the upper file-manager), click it, and click "Add".
43. Using ISO Master, go to "File", "Save As", choose a file name (eg: "cpuminer-vert-live.iso"), choose a save location (eg: "/media/lubuntu/example"), and click "Save".
44. Once the progress finishes, click "OK" to finish saving your custom ISO.
45. You can now exit ISO Master. To use the live-cd burn it to a disc, use a tool like unetbootin to create a live-usb, install a boot-manager on your system that supports directly booting Lubuntu ISO files, or boot it in a virtual-machine (as I have).

Notes:
- When typing "./configure CFLAGS="-O3" " use a capital letter o.
- This live-cd is meant for running in live-mode. If you use it as an installation disc it should work, but the user account you made will be present if I recall correctly.

-REF: Search UUID: wUZ0i&sVozWfS4SARc+IGS8dw46$01ezD34enjLi$-L+g52dUPqca!=yUM$O

How To Install CPUminer-vert On Lubuntu:

Steps:
1. Type in your terminal emulator, "sudo apt-get install gawk".
2. Type in your terminal emulator, "sudo apt-get install autotools-dev".
3. Type in your terminal emulator, "sudo apt-get install automake".
4. Type in your terminal emulator, "sudo apt-get install build-essential".
5. Type in your terminal emulator, "sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev".
6. In your web-browser, go to "https://github.com/Bufius/cpuminer-vert", and click the "Download ZIP" button. It's located on the right side of the page.
7. You can now close your browser.
8. Type in your terminal emulator, "unzip /home/yourusername/Downloads/cpuminer-vert-master.zip -d /home/yourusername/Downloads". Make sure to replace "yourusername" with your username.
9. Type in your terminal emulator, "cd /home/yourusername/Downloads/cpuminer-vert-master". Make sure to replace "yourusername" with your username.
10. Type in your terminal emulator, "./autogen.sh".
11. Type in your terminal emulator, "./configure CFLAGS="-O3" ".
12. Type in your terminal emulator, "make".
13. Type in your terminal emulator, "sudo mv -i -t /bin /home/yourusername/Downloads/cpuminer-vert-master". Make sure to replace "yourusername" with your username.
14. Type in your terminal emulator, "sudo mv /bin/cpuminer-vert-master /bin/cpuminer-vert".
15. Type in your terminal emulator, "sudo chown -R root /bin/cpuminer-vert".
16. Type in your terminal emulator, "sudo chgrp -R root /bin/cpuminer-vert".
17. Type in your terminal emulator, "sudo chmod -R u=rwx,g=xr,o=x /bin/cpuminer-vert".

Notes:
- If you get an error about GCC C compiler not being able to compile executables make sure you've typed with a capital o, not a zero, for "./configure CFLAGS="-O3" ".

-REF: Search UUID: B#8vwvxuT!s0P=BfHf-Du590dsqj1D-wOKi+n5i%QfuALWu&%+kk#!frO+HG

How To Use CPUminer-vert:

Steps:
1. Type in your terminal emulator, "/bin/cpuminer-vert/minerd --url=theurloftheminingserver --user=yourusernamefortheminingserver --pass=yourpasswordfortheminingserver". Replace the url, username, and password with yours.

Notes:
- If you've installed CPUminer-vert to a different location the the path will obviously be different than my example.
- To see usage options type "/bin/cpuminer-vert/minerd --help".
- Mining servers are listed here "https://vertcoin.org/wp/mining/". No sign up is used for pooled mining so use "--user=yourVTCaddress" and "--pass=anything". Replace "yourVTCaddress" with your VTC address; do not replace "anything".
- To stop mining either close LXTerminal or use "control"+"z".

-REF: Search UUID: bzRM6x12g0B&EFeo%m8LbpY@Lc6skc6tYzsx8!tJxNN8PFJ4fLjyjrvZU809

Here is a screenshot of CPUminer-vert running on my custom live-cd in a virtual machine that has 1CPU core, and 1GB of ram.

dJ1oVi4.png

I ran it for maybe 40 minutes, and then today I ran it on a normal Lubunt installation for another maybe 30 minutes. I think the highest khash/s I got was 4.80.

Here is a screenshot of my wallet with the vertcoin payouts I've gotten so far from mining.

njf9PWt.png

Anways, that's it for this post. If you have questions about vertcoin, bitcoin, or any other coin, chances are I can't answer it. The above has been my first real look into this stuff. I really hope when I click the post button it submits, because that was a lot of typing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:34 AM

This is interesting; thanks for the tutorial.

These look like they might be vertcoin wallets for Linux:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=404364.msg9751562#msg9751562

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:49 AM

@AI100

These look like they might be vertcoin wallets for Linux:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=404364.msg9751562#msg9751562

Looks promising; good find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic