Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 710 H2C upgrade/build suggestions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VioD

VioD

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:14 PM

Hi all!

So I have an old Dell XPS 710 H2C that I would like to upgrade as much as possible and don't know where to begin.  The thing is pretty old (2007), and has slowed down quite a bit over the years and has been used mostly for basic office work as of late. I'd like to change that and get it back in gaming condition.

Here are the specs; any suggestions on what can be replaced would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance:

- Intel Core2 Extreme processor QX6700 (3.20GHz,Overclocked) w/Dual Core Technology and 8MB cache
- 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
- Dual 768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX
- Serial ATA2 RAID 1 With Dual 500GB Hard Drives
- No Floppy Drive
- Vista
- 16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+/-RW
- X-Fi PCI Sound Card
- Ageia PhysX Processor
- Dozer Chassis
- Motherboard 7-slot BTX
- 750-watt Power Supply
- Copper Heat Sink
- Two 120mm x 38mm front fans

- VioD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:34 PM

I think an SSD and new GPU are in order. Other then that, you can't do much except buy a new one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Core Edition Video Card  ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $199.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-24 15:34 EDT-0400

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

Hi all!

So I have an old Dell XPS 710 H2C that I would like to upgrade as much as possible and don't know where to begin.  The thing is pretty old (2007), and has slowed down quite a bit over the years and has been used mostly for basic office work as of late. I'd like to change that and get it back in gaming condition.

Here are the specs; any suggestions on what can be replaced would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance:

- Intel Core2 Extreme processor QX6700 (3.20GHz,Overclocked) w/Dual Core Technology and 8MB cache
- 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
- Dual 768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX
- Serial ATA2 RAID 1 With Dual 500GB Hard Drives
- No Floppy Drive
- Vista
- 16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+/-RW
- X-Fi PCI Sound Card
- Ageia PhysX Processor
- Dozer Chassis
- Motherboard 7-slot BTX
- 750-watt Power Supply
- Copper Heat Sink
- Two 120mm x 38mm front fans

- VioD

Viod,

What is your budget for the upgrades?

That will give us a better response to your post.

#4 illestrate

illestrate

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:09 PM

Yes, budget is most important to know when your building a computer, since prices vary due to brand, speed, type its hard to say how everything might come out too.  Another key thing to know is what do you usually do on the computer?  Do you play games alot? Video rendering/editing?  Browsing?  Work?  Id Recommend SSD, and Windows 7.  Motherboard, CPU, Hard Drive, Graphics card are key things you wanna look for in terms of performance and graphics.  You can use the same case if you get the same form factor for it, ATX/MiniATX.  Ram youd probably wanna upgrade to DDR3 at least for a brand new custom buiId.  I say if you have the money you should make a brand new build, if not ... save your money to make a brand new build.  If your looking for simple upgrades that you can do now?  Upgrade that drive from mechanical to SSD (you'll still be able to take the SSD with you to your new build).  You'll be able to use your 500gb drives on your new build drives and power supplies you c an take with you.  I'd save the fans if I were to replace them always handy to have.  PSU you can also bring over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users