Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Recognizing My Hdd

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:06 PM

I just ordered Windows Vista Beta 2 a couple days ago, and it came in the mail today. I partitioned my hard drive, adding a 40 GB partition directly after my Windows XP drive. When booting from the 32-bit DVD, there are no options in the hard drive list for where to install Vista. I'm assuming it doesn't have to correct drivers and I need to load them from an external source.

I'm wonder how I would go about doing that. My hard drive model, as supplied by the manufacturer of my copmuter, is NVIDIA JBOD 372.61G

Update: I did a google search, and found that my motherboard is the one that requires the drivers. I found this page: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_download..._x86_beta2.html which pretty much explains my exact situation. I downloaded the drivers and burned them to a CD, but when I went back into the Vista installation and Loaded Drivers, I got a message saying they weren't found on the CD.

Update2: I tried putting those same driver on a USB flash drive, and got the same result. The installation wasn't able to find any drivers. Something else I shoulod note: this last time I booted from the installation DVD, I got to the "Choose where to install" screen and saw that my external HDD was on the list. The other times I had attempted to install, my external was turned off, but this time I turned it on before booting and it recognized it.

Update3: I decided to install Vista through Windows XP, and not booting it from the DVD. I got up to the point where it tried to recognize my hard drive, and this time it worked. I selected the partition I had made for it, and went through the rest of the installation steps. Immediately before it began "Copying Files" an error popped up saying that some devices were missing drivers. I stopped the installation and made sure the devices on that list were all up-to-date and started installing Vista again. This time I decided to ignore the error, and continued installing. It went through the rest of the steps, but when it restarted, I got a blue screen with the error 0x0000007B (0x80804BB0, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). I force restarted my PC, and it attempted to boot into Vista again. On the next installation, I pressed F8 and was able to choose my "Old" version of Windows. Every time I try to boot my computer, I get the same blue screen, and I have to manually select Windows XP. Right now this is my biggest concern...

Edited by .Prodigy., 29 June 2006 - 09:41 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:16 PM

Your MBR has become over written.. Both windows and vista have become combined... Im sorry I dont have a direct link to the program, but if you look in my fat32+linux=? topic, you'll see a link to MBRWiz, its a program that you use to reset the MBR. Alternativley.. You can use the windows xp recovery console, and use the command "fixmbr" without the quotes.

Keep in mind that this will fix your MBR to where it was when you first installed windows xp... Your best bet is to format the vista partition, and look for some tips on how to do that..

Edited by Uraiser, 30 June 2006 - 01:20 PM.

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. What will fixing the MBR (I'm assuming it stands for Master Boot Record?) do for me? Will it simply fix the problem of trying to boot into Vista or will it allow me to install and run Vista?

Posted Image

#4 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. What will fixing the MBR (I'm assuming it stands for Master Boot Record?) do for me? Will it simply fix the problem of trying to boot into Vista or will it allow me to install and run Vista?

Sure, Yes thats what it stands for, sorry, habit. What its going to do is return windows xp back to normal when booting.. .So format the partition that Vista is on, then do the MBR fix. You'll have to start again.

*Edit,

I should've said, that the MBR fix with the windows recovery console *Could* render your XP partition unreadable.. Though I woudlnt worry about it too much if its the only partition on the HDD at the time, thats why you have to get rid of vista first.. I just did this a few days ago, worked like a charm for me.

Edited by Uraiser, 30 June 2006 - 01:24 PM.

#5 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm still a bt confused. I this I understand how the MBR works now, but I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. I know I've seen the "Windows XP Recovery Console" before, but I don't exactly know how to boot into it. Is it just Safe Mode, or do I need one of my XP Install discs to load it? I've booted off both of the recovery discs that came with my computer, and neither of them had an option for a Recovery Console.

I looked through you fat32+linux=? post, and found the MBRWizard. I downloaded it, and ran it through the cmd console using mbrwizd.exe /List and got a popup saying "An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the appliucation to function incorrectly." I chose to ignore it, and, in the console, I got an "Error 22 - Discrepancy between Bios Disk Count and Actual Disk Count"

I really appreciate your patience, and hopefully we'll get through this soon.

Posted Image

#6 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm still a bt confused. I this I understand how the MBR works now, but I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. I know I've seen the "Windows XP Recovery Console" before, but I don't exactly know how to boot into it. Is it just Safe Mode, or do I need one of my XP Install discs to load it? I've booted off both of the recovery discs that came with my computer, and neither of them had an option for a Recovery Console.

I looked through you fat32+linux=? post, and found the MBRWizard. I downloaded it, and ran it through the cmd console using mbrwizd.exe /List and got a popup saying "An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the appliucation to function incorrectly." I chose to ignore it, and, in the console, I got an "Error 22 - Discrepancy between Bios Disk Count and Actual Disk Count"

I appriciate your patience as well, as Im learning more and more about computers every day, and I'll do what I can to help you through this..

Now, as far as the recovery console goes, if you have a store bought copy of XP, meaning copy that has yet to touch a computer and when it does, doenst come with all of that Dell,HP,Compaq,Gateway extra crap, it comes to a screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD" and then you boot and you get the blue installation screen, thats the one you need. If you have recovery CD's, I dont think those have the recovery console on it.

Hmm.. I've not seen that error with my MBRwiz.. Let me look into it, thanks for your patience, I will help as much as i can.

#7 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:22 PM

Run the CMD prompt and type mbrwiz.exe /Result
See what comes up
then mbrwiz.exe /hideErrors

Then try mbrwiz.exe /bootmenu

^ this will allow you to select the active partition, which is going to be XP at the time.

#8 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:01 PM

When I bought my computer through ABS, it allowed me to customize my PC and such. It came with 2 recovery DVDs, one with the ABS logo on it, and one with a Magnell Associate, Inc. logo (the manufacturer or distributor I assume). It didn't come with any XP cds.

When I did /Result in MBRWizard, i got this:
MBRWiz - Version 1.52 for Windows XP/2K/PE		  November 13, 2003
   Copyright (c) 2002-2003 Roger Layton			http://mbr.bigr.net

ErrorLevel Result: 0

When I did /bootmenu I got this:
Disk: 0   Size=382G
 ID  Type/Name  Size  Active  Hidden  Start Sector
 --  ---------  ----  ------  ------  ------------
  0  07-NTFS	 30G   Yes	 No			   63
  1  07-NTFS	 40G   No	  No	   61,448,688

Select the partition id to set active:

The 30G partition is my XP, and the 40G partition is when I made for Vista. The remaining 304G is partitioned for my games/music/etc. Should I set partition 0 active, the one with XP? It looks like it already is, so I don't think it will change anything.

Edited by .Prodigy., 30 June 2006 - 04:02 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:24 PM

When I bought my computer through ABS, it allowed me to customize my PC and such. It came with 2 recovery DVDs, one with the ABS logo on it, and one with a Magnell Associate, Inc. logo (the manufacturer or distributor I assume). It didn't come with any XP cds.

When I did /Result in MBRWizard, i got this:

MBRWiz - Version 1.52 for Windows XP/2K/PE		  November 13, 2003
   Copyright (c) 2002-2003 Roger Layton			http://mbr.bigr.net

ErrorLevel Result: 0

When I did /bootmenu I got this:
Disk: 0   Size=382G
 ID  Type/Name  Size  Active  Hidden  Start Sector
 --  ---------  ----  ------  ------  ------------
  0  07-NTFS	 30G   Yes	 No			   63
  1  07-NTFS	 40G   No	  No	   61,448,688

Select the partition id to set active:

The 30G partition is my XP, and the 40G partition is when I made for Vista. The remaining 304G is partitioned for my games/music/etc. Should I set partition 0 active, the one with XP? It looks like it already is, so I don't think it will change anything.

You could do that, but that would just get you ready for the next restart cycle. You could delete the vista partition here, or you could use a program called partition magic, I understand you want to keep vista, but being that it was installed incorrectly, this needs to be done.. I wont be able to respond tonight, I have some things to do, maybe someone else will come along to help, if not, i'll try to get back on before the end of the night and see what else I can do, otherwise if you can sit tight until tomorrow, I'll do what i can.

#10 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for all your help. I do use partition magic for my formatting & partitioning and I love it. I reformatted my Vista drive, but my pc still tries to boot vista at startup. There isn't anything terribly wrong, it's just a hassle having to select Windows XP every time I boot my computer. It does boot my C: drive (Windows XP) according to my boot.ini, but there's a sort of boot manager that comes up and tries to boot vista.
Thanks for all you help, I have no problem waiting until tomorrow.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users