Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just A Show Of Support For BC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

Many of you already know me - I'm the pest of the place! :devil:

I recently decided to go with a dual-boot system, and install Linux Mint Cinnamon alongside my existing Windows 7 Ultimate OS. Before I go any further, I have to say that there are moments when I feel completely overwhelmed by the learning curve. I have some experience with command line operations, but that was long ago in a galaxy far, far away, called college. So, while the territory seems familiar to me, it can also seem quite daunting at times.

I have been poking around in the Linux forums, looking for odds and ends of things that I think may be of interest to me, or may give me some good advice on how to proceed with things I'm still lost with, or better yet, how to proceed with things that I haven't yet considered. This web site is an invaluable resource to me - both for Windows issues, which are far too common, and for the n00b me who is just starting out with Linux.

In my wanderings, I came across a post that was made by someone in response to a question about setting up a printer in Linux. And of course, I cannot now remember the title of that topic, nor can I find it doing a search - if I could, I would be responding in the thread rather than here, in such a general way. The post I'm referring advised the OP to open up a search engine and look for answers. Something to the effect that BC is just a drop in the sea of support out there in internet land. And while that statement is quite true, in my opinion it is also quite true that the kind of support provided here at BC is head and shoulders above almost everything else you'll find out there - in particular when it comes to Linux.

Many of the (admittedly few - I prefer to look here for answers), Linux support sites I have looked at tend to look down on n00bs. There is a condescending sort of attitude, like, "Well, aren't you just the stupid n00b. Let me try to explain this so your tiny mind can understand it." And heaven forbid you should mention that you run a multiple-OS system that includes Windows! When that comes out, the majority of the people on many of those sites won't even bother to respond to you.

At any rate, there were some gentle reminders from others that BC exists to help people, and I want to add my voice to those statements. I would counter the argument that someone should do an internet search first with this: Why? I know BC exists, I know what kind of response I can expect here from both the users and the advisers. I know that my questions will be taken seriously. I know that the responses given will be given with respect and a thorough explanation of what I might try in order to resolve any issue I might be having. In other words, why roll the dice and hope, when I know what I can find here?

Of course it's advisable to seek out answers on your own. But, that's exactly what people are doing here: Seeking out answers to their problems and questions.

The community as a whole is fortunate - extremely fortunate - to have a resource such as BC available - without charge - where one can find answers to just about any issues that they may be experiencing. For this user, it's the respect that keeps me coming back here. I have never - not once - encountered a superior or condescending attitude from anyone on this site. Every person here who has ever responded to a question I've asked has treated me with the utmost respect.

That is why BC is the best resource on the internet, and it's why I'll keep coming back here for help, before I go anywhere else - even to a search engine.

So, my hat is off to all of you here at BC - both the general users who have answers to things that some of us encounter, and in particular to those of you volunteer your time and energy to helping people. It is my fervent wish that this site will never go away. It is a priceless pearl in a "sea of support."

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

Let me reassure you - you are NOT the 'pest of the place'. Nowhere near it !

But thanks for the kind words anyway.

Chris cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:42 PM

In my wanderings, I came across a post that was made by someone in response to a question about setting up a printer in Linux. And of course, I cannot now remember the title of that topic

Would this be the thread you are referring to?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565402/how-to-print-from-my-computer-linux/

Let me reassure you - you are NOT the 'pest of the place'. Nowhere near it !

That's right you are not...............That's my job :hysterical:

And heaven forbid you should mention that you run a multiple-OS system that includes Windows!

You dual boot with Windoze? OMG that changes everything.

Edited by NickAu, 14 March 2015 - 10:45 PM.

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:40 AM

LMAO!

Yes, NickAu - that is the thread, thank you. I won't bother to respond there now, since I got it off my chest already.

Let's have a contest to see who can be the bigger pest! :hysterical:

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

+1000 Great post Melissa.

BTW, nobody's a bigger pest around here than me... if you want proof just ask Hamluis:whistle: :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users