Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rec./Best HDD..? HGST?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

Background:

1.  1st build.

2.  3 mos. ago minimal computer knowledge.  Went from learning what wi-fi and Bluetooth is  ---> challenging myself to do a build.

3..  Will be basic home PC.  Mainly file ( pic and home video storage ), with possible gaming.  Nothing crazy....?

What I have so far:

i7 4790k

gigabyte Z97X gaming 3 mobo

Noctua NH-D14 fan/heat sink

Crucial Ballistix ( sport) 16gb RAM  - 2 x 8gb sticks

Corsair AX 750 PSU

LG Blu-Ray internal optical drive w/ burner and BDXL

Samsung 500gb 850 PRO SSD

Internal card reader (don't laugh)

Corsair 760T case

What I still need to get:

HDD - for file storage

Another larger External HD

OS _ Leaning towards Win 7.  We have 8.1 -HATE it!!!

Will more then likely upgrading my exhaust fan

Would like to add an additional fan on top or underneath HDD  or HDD cooler case/fan

GPU-  Want to run 3 monitors.  Nothing crazy like 4k or too insanely expensive.  Mainly because we have lots of windows open ( online ) @ a time.  Do not intend to game with 3 monitors ( if I even game...?)

So I want to put the most reliable, least amount of failure HDD in.  Would like to go with as much gb storage as possible.  ( Even though it will be backed up on an external HD).  Not sure if I am going to RAID1 as an additional HDD in case 1 fails.

After doing mainy searches and reviews.  It sounds like the 4gb HGST got some great reviews.

http://www.ryli.net/the-best-and-fastest-hard-disk-drive-hdd/

http://www.storagereview.com/best_drives

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

Thanks everyone.

Would like to keep this as simple as possible.  Nothing insanely expensive.  Would like to keep $200 or less per HDD.

Edited by hamluis, 19 March 2015 - 07:04 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jamesdf5

Jamesdf5

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

Hi,

Firstly if this is just a basic home PC then you've just wasted a lot of money for nothing.  What you're building is a high powered Video editing/top end gaming computer.

In terms of hard drive for storage my research leant me toward Western Digital Black drives.  Do not go for seagate as they have a high fail rate currently.  I use three 1GB 7200rpm drives.  You could go for higher rpm speed but i dont see the point for a basic computer.  I don't even use a higher rpm speed and I use mine for video editing.

Good luck with the build.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users