1. I dropped by Fry's the other day and picked up a USB hub with four ports so that i could increase the number of ports on my laptop (Lenovo y50).
2. It came with a alternative power cable which supposedly was intended for use when the computer needed to power more than 2 ports.
3. I only have a mouse and a phone charging through MicroUSB from the hub.
4. I had been using the two ports and therefore not using the wall cable.
5. I found another wall cable which was longer and I decided I would use that one.
6. I plugged in the wall cable (after switching on three of the ports; each port can be turned on via the hub switches).
7. It seemed to be working correctly.
8. I then plugged the hub back into my computer (I had removed it prior).
9. The computer immediately shut down and crashed (likely something with USB power...the computer was plugged in and so was the hub).
10. After rebooting, Windows showed no errors.
11. Now here's where it gets weird: there are two other ports on my computer. There is a USB 2.0 on the right side and one more port net to where the hub was plugged in.
12. The hub now lights up BUT NOT in the port next to it. It does light up on the port on the right side however (2.0).
13. The port on the left next to the port the hub was connected to appears to not work at all. I can't figure out why.
14. Also, the hub only lights up and seems to be charging my phone (but actually isn't). The mouse also no longer works through it on any port.
15. I have tried going to device manager and uninstalling all USBs. I also have USBdevhost installed but I do not know how I should be using it.
16. TL;DR my port next to the one where the hub was plugged in does not work, and the hub itself seems to not work even though lit up.
Edit: Windows 8 btw.
All help appreciated!
Edited by theluketheory, 14 March 2015 - 02:00 PM.