Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports not working and somewhat not working!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 theluketheory

theluketheory

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

1. I dropped by Fry's the other day and picked up a USB hub with four ports so that i could increase the number of ports on my laptop (Lenovo y50).

2. It came with a alternative power cable which supposedly was intended for use when the computer needed to power more than 2 ports.

3. I only have a mouse and a phone charging through MicroUSB from the hub.

4. I had been using the two ports and therefore not using the wall cable.

5. I found another wall cable which was longer and I decided I would use that one.

6. I plugged in the wall cable (after switching on three of the ports; each port can be turned on via the hub switches).

7. It seemed to be working correctly.

8. I then plugged the hub back into my computer (I had removed it prior).

9. The computer immediately shut down and crashed (likely something with USB power...the computer was plugged in and so was the hub).

10. After rebooting, Windows showed no errors.

11. Now here's where it gets weird: there are two other ports on my computer. There is a USB 2.0 on the right side and one more port net to where the hub was plugged in.

12. The hub now lights up BUT NOT in the port next to it. It does light up on the port on the right side however (2.0).

13. The port on the left next to the port the hub was connected to appears to not work at all. I can't figure out why.

14. Also, the hub only lights up and seems to be charging my phone (but actually isn't). The mouse also no longer works through it on any port.

15. I have tried going to device manager and uninstalling all USBs. I also have USBdevhost installed but I do not know how I should be using it.

16. TL;DR my port next to the one where the hub was plugged in does not work, and the hub itself seems to not work even though lit up.

Edit: Windows 8 btw.

All help appreciated!

Edited by theluketheory, 14 March 2015 - 02:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

This is just a guess but it seems to me that the USB hub has fried the USB port on your laptop.  And the hub is no longer functioning properly.  Too much power from the new longer cable?  I don't know.  But if the usb port on the laptop no longer functions than it is probably no good anymore.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,398 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:57 PM

+1 on frying the USB, they will only handle so much load!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 theluketheory

theluketheory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

+1 on frying the USB, they will only handle so much load!

So what exactly needs to be repaired? I have already tried a BIOS reset and a few other internal modifications. Is it a USB controller IC that needs repair? Any ideas?

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:20 PM

Most likely the connector itself is fried and since this is connected to the mainboard I would say unless you are REALLY good at soldering you would need to replace the USB connector and any accompanying resistors that went along with it.  In my opinion there is nothing you can do aside from getting a new mainboard for the computer.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 17 March 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,398 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

First before you get into any fixing try going into device manager and deleting the USB stuff then reboot Windows will rebuild it.  If that does not work then let us know.

Her is a helpful post to read.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/277816-why-arent-my-usb-device-divers-not-working-my-laptop.html

#7 hijagdish

hijagdish

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:09 AM

if your usb port not working then there is several reason of it:

Solution:

·       Go to computer icon on desktop and right click on it. than go to manage option then disk management and update your usb letter.

·       press windows+r option and then write regedit on it. and in USBSTOR option change the number 4 to 3. 4 number is for disable

Lots of people learning laptop repairing because there are very less laptop engineer. just do a hardware course of laptop like laptop repair course and be a laptop repair engineer. 

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:42 PM

First before you get into any fixing try going into device manager and deleting the USB stuff then reboot Windows will rebuild it.  If that does not work then let us know.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/277816-why-arent-my-usb-device-divers-not-working-my-laptop.html

Solution:

·       Go to computer icon on desktop and right click on it. than go to manage option then disk management and update your usb letter.

·       press windows+r option and then write regedit on it. and in USBSTOR option change the number 4 to 3. 4 number is for disable

Lots of people learning laptop repairing because there are very less laptop engineer. just do a hardware course of laptop like laptop repair course and be a laptop repair engineer. 

Not trying to be a jerk here but did you guys even read the OP's original post?  They already tried removing the USB drivers from the control panel and trying to solder a new usb connector onto a laptop is not what I'd call a ' easy thing to do'   I realize that you must not have read the post and only read the topic but honestly it was a pretty short post considering some.  Lets try to actually be helpful.  This person's USB port is most likely fried and no amount of removing drivers is going to help.

#9 theluketheory

theluketheory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

Solution:

Not trying to be a jerk here but did you guys even read the OP's original post?  They already tried removing the USB drivers from the control panel and trying to solder a new usb connector onto a laptop is not what I'd call a ' easy thing to do'   I realize that you must not have read the post and only read the topic but honestly it was a pretty short post considering some.  Lets try to actually be helpful.  This person's USB port is most likely fried and no amount of removing drivers is going to help.

Yeah at this point I actually am asking for hardware solutions. I watched a tutorial on replacing USB connectors but I cannot figure out how much needs replacing. The laptop has a warranty and I might just use that (under the condition that they'd just freaking let me swap out the hard drive like a good company). The other issue is that at the moment I do not have access to a soldering iron. I may be able to gain access but if I did I would want to know explicitly what needs to be replaced. I actually think the connector itself is fine (seeing as electricity can't really hurt the connector itself). The issue lies in whatever goes between the connector and the motherboard (if I had to guess anyway...I'm no expert). Any advice is appreciated...I really want my fantastic 3.0 port back.,

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,398 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

What I would do if I were you!  Buy another HD and a caddy, transfer the entire contents of your HD to the caddy.  One that is done do a factory reset bring the LT back to its original state when you bought it.  Then you can trans fer the contents back to your fixed/replaced unit.  Simple mildly costly!

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

If I were you I'd just grab a USB stick and back up/copy whatever files you want to keep.  I would not suggest 'doing a full back up or image' If you try to image this drive and they give you a new mainboard- The windows installation is tied to the mainboard so let Fry's deal with the new microsoft registration. If you image the drive and try to copy all of windows back over along with all your files your asking for a whole new horse of problems to beat down...Just my 2 cents.

#12 ITronix

ITronix

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:45 AM

Laptop and Desktop Repair course in chennai- ITronix will helps to do best laptop service by your own self. If you want to lean  about more laptop repair courses Join in the Laptop Chip level Training institute in chennai provided by ITronix. For more details call us @ 9962508777 or mail us @ itronixhcennai@gmail.com.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users