Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OneNote Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ukbb

ukbb

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:17 AM

I picked up an HP Stream laptop for school and synced OneNote to it which has taken up a bunch of space on the meager 32Gb drive it comes with. I bought a 64Gb sd card and put it in and changed the settings in OneNote to point there for it's files. It is now putting files there but there are a bunch of backup files left behind on the C drive that is now down to 3Gb free. Can I just move the backup files over to the new location or is there more to it than that? 

Looking at this blog post about it the process seems convoluted but it was written in 2011 and I have version 2013. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/johnguin/archive/2011/12/15/a-poweruser-tip-to-moving-onenote-files-around-to-free-hard-drive-space.aspx

The instructions given at the above site: 

1. Shutdown OneNote

2. Start | Run | cmd

a. C:\Users\you> mkdir D:\OneNote

b. C:\Users\you> robocopy %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneNote D:\OneNote /e

c. C:\Users\you> rmdir %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneNote /s

d. C:\Users\you> mklink /d %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneNote D:\OneNote

e. C:\Users\you> exit

3. Start OneNote

As I stated above Step 2a is already completed. I'm just wondering if I need to perform steps 2b through 2e or can I just move the files over to the folder on the D drive since OneNote already knows it's there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GeePee29

GeePee29

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

Just move the files. If you have a problem you can always move them back till you figure out the solution, but I think it will work no problem

#3 ukbb

ukbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:57 PM

Thanks, I did end up doing that and didn't have any problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users