Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Create Restore Point-The specified object was not found (0x80042308)

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 MdHelp

MdHelp

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:20 PM

I have been unable to create a System Restore Point. I have tried many fixes but nothing has worked. Can someone who has resolved this issue with this particular error please assist me. After researching the error, the reason is the VSSVC.EXE file cannot be found.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:13 AM

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

cmd will appear above the search box in the results.  Right click on it and choose Run as administrator from the menu that opens.  This will open the Command Prompt.

Copy the command below, paste it in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

vssadmin list writers

Post the results in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MdHelp

MdHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

Thank you for your assistance. Per your request.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin list writers
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
© Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Waiting for responses.
These may be delayed if a shadow copy is being prepared.

Writer name: 'Task Scheduler Writer'
   Writer Id: {d61d61c8-d73a-4eee-8cdd-f6f9786b7124}
   Writer Instance Id: {1bddd48e-5052-49db-9b07-b96f96727e6b}
   State: [1] Stable
   Last error: No error

Writer name: 'VSS Metadata Store Writer'
   Writer Id: {75dfb225-e2e4-4d39-9ac9-ffaff65ddf06}
   Writer Instance Id: {088e7a7d-09a8-4cc6-a609-ad90e75ddc93}

Writer name: 'Performance Counters Writer'
   Writer Id: {0bada1de-01a9-4625-8278-69e735f39dd2}
   Writer Instance Id: {f0086dda-9efc-47c5-8eb6-a944c3d09381}

Writer name: 'System Writer'
   Writer Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
   Writer Instance Id: {a6b7b798-b543-4305-900f-715962a9d794}

Writer name: 'MSSearch Service Writer'
   Writer Id: {cd3f2362-8bef-46c7-9181-d62844cdc0b2}
   Writer Instance Id: {bb626792-ee8e-46d7-bb0e-0b8ea95b09f2}

Writer name: 'ASR Writer'
   Writer Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
   Writer Instance Id: {4b7aa4ce-4705-42ca-8039-bc61352ebde3}

Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
   Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
   Writer Instance Id: {91f485b2-7e09-497c-83ad-283c930c1cb4}

Writer name: 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer'
   Writer Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
   Writer Instance Id: {a41a6838-22e2-4adb-b929-cc266864923b}

Writer name: 'Registry Writer'
   Writer Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}
   Writer Instance Id: {62ab5b24-8f90-41c6-b4dd-83f9cb6cc0d1}

Writer name: 'COM+ REGDB Writer'
   Writer Id: {542da469-d3e1-473c-9f4f-7847f01fc64f}
   Writer Instance Id: {41f492ad-3ace-4caa-aea3-547f6af3eddd}

C:\Windows\system32>

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

It looks like there isn't a problem with the Shadow Copy Service.

I would like for you to perform a Clean Boot to see if there is a Service or Startup item causing this.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Step 1

(1)  Click on the Start orb, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Step 2

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

Step 3

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  I repeat, by disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

msconfig2_zpsef3c4759.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot this means that there is a Service which is causing this proble, continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmes If the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

When you are finished using the Clean Boot go back to System Configuration and click on the General, then click on Normal Startup, click on OK, then restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MdHelp

MdHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

I have followed all of your directives, but I am unclear from your instructions as to what I am suppose to be looking for to determine where the problem may lie. As I stated before, I have tried numerous checks and fixes, but no solution. For some reason, the VSSVC.EXE is not found on my PC.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

VSS is the Volume Shadow Copy service.

If you wish to check this, click on the Start orb, then type services in the Search programs and files box.

Services will appear above the search box in the results.  Right click on services and choose Run as administrator in the menu options.

When Services opens, scroll down to Volume Shadow Copy, right click on it, then click on Properties.

In the Startup type it should be set to Manual.

In the Service status it should be Running.

After you have done this, follow the instruction and do the Clean Boot.

#7 MdHelp

MdHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

I have attempted to follow your directions using option B, but your directives are unclear to me. Please be explicit in every step you want me to take.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

Start at the beginning, go through all three steps. 

At the end of Step3 (3) you restart the computer.

There are one of two things that will happen at this point, either the problem will persist or it will not.  If the problem dose not persist then you will need to start the process of elimination to find the Service which is causing this.  You will use Options A to determine which service is causing the problem.

The process of elimination consists of re-enabling services by placing a checkmark in the first half of the boxes for the services.

Once you have placed a checkmark in the first half of the boxes restart the computer.  If the problem resumes you will know that the service causing the problem is one of the services in the first half of the list of those you placed a checkmark in.

Now that you know the problem is with one of the services which were re-enabled you need to remove half of those checkmarked and then restart the computer.  When you restart the computer, if the problem still persist you will know that the problem with one of the services which still has a checkmark.  Continue to delete checkmarked service till you find the service causing this problem.

Once you have found this service post which one it is.  Do nothing else until I respond to this post.

If at the end of Step3 (3) you restart the computer and the problem persists, you should move on to Option B.  

Once again you will restart the computer and have the same two possibilities, either the problem will not persist, or it will persist.  

If it does not persist, use the method above to go through the process of elimination to find the culprit.

If the problem does persist, this the problem is not related to either the Services or Startup items and we will go on from there.

If you still have question, please be specific in what you don't understand.  

#9 MdHelp

MdHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:51 AM

I followed all of the instructions and could not identify or associate the problem with the Services or Startup using the elimination method. I attempted to create a restore point each time after I eliminated the services/startup with no success. On at least a couple occasions I got a Blue Screen when the system rebooted after trying to create the restore point.

In addition to receiving this error:

The restore point could not be created for the following reasons: The specified object was not found. (0x80042308)

I also on one occasion received this error:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error CreateFileW(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1,0xc0000000,0x00000003,...).  hr = 0x80070037, The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:04 AM

Type services in the search box.

Services will appear above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator in the menu that opens.

Scroll down to Volume Shadow Copy and right click on it.  (This is the VSS)

Under Startup type: make sure it is set to Manual.

Under Service status: If it isn't running click on Run.

Click on OK.

Restart the computer.

Edited by dc3, 18 March 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#11 MdHelp

MdHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:39 AM

Performed instructions....still unable to create RP.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

Hi MdHelp, simple question. You said that after a bit of research, the reason why you get this error is because the VSSVC.exe file wouldn't exist, right? This file is located in C:\Windows\System32, did you check there if the file indeed exists or not?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 MdHelp

MdHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:13 PM

Hello Aura:

I did check and the file seems to be there. Maybe it is corrupted or something. I am a novice and all I know is those were the error messages I received. Thanks for any assistance you can give.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:05 PM

If the file is corrupted, it could be repaired via a SFC scan.

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system:
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command sfc /scannow (there's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow") and press on Enter;
  • Let the scan run until the end (100%), then copy/paste in your next reply the message that is returned after;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#15 MdHelp

MdHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users