Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move XP system sector to SSD

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Carter

Michael Carter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:26 PM

My system drive has three sectors, of which the first contains my Win XP SP3 system files.

drive_zpsicn2gyk9.jpg

I should like to copy the 75 GB XP system sector to a new 120GB SSD. I have Easeus Todo Backup Home 7.5, so copying the XP sector to the new drive should not be a problem.

But before I begin, I should like to know:

1. The best way to make the SSD boot to XP;
  2. Whether I need to tweak anything in XP to make it work (for example deleting the mounted drive info from the registry)?

I have my XP install CD if I need to copy anything from there. I also have Linux Mint on a USB stick if it is best to copy/edit boot files using Linux.

With thanks in anticipation.

Edited by Michael Carter, 13 March 2015 - 09:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

Best advice I can give...read the directions for doing whatever it is that you want to do...provided by the software developer.  EaseUS has what I consider very good documentation for their products and how to use such successfully.

Aside from following their instructions...it should be simple.

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/features/partition-clone.htm

I've not used that particular program but I have cloned partitions/drives using EaseUS Partition Master.

Louis

#3 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

Hi Louis, thanks for your reply.

I've had a look at the Easeus web site, but cannot find anything on the MBR. I've put a question in their forum.

MCart

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:51 AM

The boot files are on the Windows partition.  Cloning the partition...takes care of all files relative to Windows and booting.

Who created that second partition...and why?  What is "old Win 7" doing on the hard drive?

Louis

#5 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:19 AM

I did. It was the original Win7 trialware, which I don't need, and there is no data there.

So the computer currently boots into the Win7 Boot menu, but if you select "older operating system" it branches to the XP boot routine.

I'm hoping that if I clone the XP sector rather than the whole drive, I can get it to boot straight to XP.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

You have complications :).

The Win 7 partition contains the boot files, by virtue of being installed first.

Second...I have no idea how you installed XP on a separate partition...what guide did you follow?  Reason I ask is that it's possible to install it on a separate drive with no complications...but you did not do that.  It's installed on same drive which reflects original Win 7 boot files.  I'd like to know how you did that :).

Installing XP After Win 7

Seems to me that you will either have to do a repair install of XP, after deleting the Win 7 partition...or leave the Win 7 partition, install Easy BCD and use Easy BCD to make the XP install the default.

Louis

#7 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:46 PM

Hi Louis, I installed XP first, and Win7 on top of that.

I forget why I called the Win7 partition "OldWin7" (I think to alert myself that it was trialware), but it was installed after XP. The third partition was initially intended for a third boot option to Linux, but I ended up putting that on another box.

Does that help with the sector copy, or is the mere presence of Win7 the problem?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:54 PM

Well...the minute you installed Win 7...it overrode the XP boot files...so the boot files should still be on the Win 7 partition, rather than the XP partition.

A repair install of XP will likely obtain the result that you seem to want...but that cannot be done with the Win 7 partition intact.  On second thought, a repair install of XP using a Genuine XP CD...should break the Win 7 boot process, whether the Win 7 partition exists or not.  Your only boot option should then be to boot into XP.

That was my experience with my dual-boot (XP, Win 7).

Louis

#9 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:54 AM

Thanks again Louis.

Just to keep the thread up to date, I read the Easeus documentation as you recommended and started a thread on their forum, to make sure I was doing everything their way. In case you are interested the URL of the thread is:

http://forum.easeus.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36178

On rereading this, it seems I forgot to tell them about the Win7 boot option, which is perhaps why the cloning process failed to produce a bootable drive.

Anyway, rather than running a full repair install, I was wondering whether something like fixboot or fixmbr would work instead.

If I do a full repair install, I will be taken back to the basic XP SP3 and all the updates will have to be downloaded again, taking time and chewing up bandwidth.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:32 AM

My experience with my dual-boot (IIRC) was that the XP Recovery Console commands did not result in solving my problem with XP, while a repair install succeeded in fixing my XP install.

Of course...you can try anything...what harm can it do?

I would expect fixboot, etc. to be ineffective because Win 7 has modified the boot files for the system...but I've been wrong a lot in my life :).

Louis

#11 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:21 AM

Hi Louis, thanks again, and your experience conformed with mine. I could not get an XP recovery disc to boot at all. It blue screened before reaching the command prompt.  Whether that was because it has been thrown about a bit by my children or for a more subtle reason is uncertain.

I then tried running my XP install disk, which was still in good condition, but it also crashed with the screen shown below.

xpcrash_zpsmxqxxdjs.jpg

Do you reckon that's a problem with my install disk or the SSD?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

Well...I don't know anything about XP Recovery disks, other than the fact that they are designed only to try to repair solo XP installs.  The technology employed in an XP Recovery Console or recovery disk...came before the advent of Win 7 and is ineffective if one is trying to modify/delete Win 7 files.  You have a dual-boot so I would not expect any recovery disk to be effective for what you seem to want.

IMO...STOP 7B errors have varying causes so I shall not guess at the cause.  Could be the CD, could be the system configuration, could be corruption, and so on.  I have a high regard for SSDs (based on my trivial experiences) but I never suspect that any problem which crops up...occurs because of the SSD.

IMO...the best workaround for your situation would simply be to boot into the Win 7 install...use EasyBCD to ensure that both partitions can be booted into...then boot into XP and shrink the size of the Win 7 partition to something you could live with..

If I wanted to eliminate the Win 7 files from my system totally...I would just do a clean install of XP.

If I wanted to retain the programs, etc. currently stored on the XP partition...I would simply move all data files from the XP install to the Junk partition, which is really where they belong.  Your XP partition is far larger than it has to be (approx 20-25GB) and that says to me that you have a lot of data files stored in My Documents folders that can easily be moved.  Then I would shrink the size of the XP partition (using a partition manager)...and just clone the first 2 partitions (both XP and Win 7) to the new drive.  While the size of the XP partition is larger than it needs to be...the size of the Win 7 partition has to be somewhere in the vicinity of 35GB.

I have had both XP and Win 7 installed on a 60GB SSD, with no problems...because I don't store data files on either Windows partition.

Louis

#13 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:30 AM

Hi Louis, thanks again for your thoughts.  On reflection I think your strategy is the best.  I have Win7 on the box I built during my heating problem, so the one on the old drive is redundant, but if I shrink it to the bare minimum size, I can copy the sector to the new drive, just to preserve the old boot structure.

Just on the issue of space management, I had a look at my C drive to see what was eating up that 75GB.

cdrive2_zpsrxuhqfqg.jpg

My "data" is in Documents and Settings, which in total only accounts for 12GB. The Windows folder eats up twice that at 24GB.

windows_zpsmt34wdnh.jpg

Much the largest folder in Windows is Temp, so I guess I need to use Spybot S&D or ccleaner to clean that up a bit.

mydocs_zpsybafzhs8.jpg

Within Documents and Settings, less than have the total space (<6GB) is taken up by My Documents. 4GB is Application Data, and of that 1GB is more temp files and 2 GB Outlook. I delete 80% of my email as it comes in, but business related stuff I like to keep indefinitely in case a question arises later.

Anyway, to make a long story short, with a bit of housecleaning, I think I can fit both the WinXP and Win7 sectors quite easily on the new SSD.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:11 AM

Sounds like a plan :).

Louis

#15 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:28 AM

To round off the thread, I was able to complete the task successfully, but not by copying sectors. Rather I had to back up and restore the whole drive as described in the EaseUs thread mentioned above.

The sector copy was not an option because Windows had put unmovable data (an MFT file) in clusters right at the back end of the drive (as shown below), so I could not shrink the Win7 sector:

cluster_zpsb1r9kmoz.jpg

So I moved the data from the third sector sector on the old drive to an external drive and then deleted the sector. I then did a whole drive backup.

To avoid confusion, I disconnected all drives except the new SSD and the one containing the backup before running the restore process from the Easeus boot CD. The restore shrank both remaining sectors proportionally to fit on the SSD, as shown in the pic below, where Disk 0 is the original drive (now with just 2 sectors) and Disk 2 is the SSD.

drives_zpshpx6aowp.jpg

The SSD now behaves just like the old drive, booting successfully into either WinXP or Win7.

Thanks again Louis for all your feedback and thoughts.

Edited by Michael Carter, 11 April 2015 - 12:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users