Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista will not update to sp2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ingag2014

ingag2014

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:55 PM

Hi 

I have an HP dv7 with Vista pre-installed.  I have been trying to update from SP1 to SP2 and receive the error code 800F081F.  This is not my machine and I don't have any repair discs as it is an HP.  I have run SFC and it came back with multiple errors that it could not repair.  I have run numerous virus scans and they come up clean.  I have removed McAfee and Norton software with using their uninstall programs.  

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:40 PM

You can try running the system update readiness tool

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:28 AM

You can try the downloads at this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791#Method3
It will provide the downloads for both Service Packs.

Note : You must have SP1 installed and then you can follow with SP2.from what I read ..

Step 1: Try the updates after temporarily disabling any running Anti Virus and other security programs.

You may refer to: Disable Anti-Virus Software

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Step 2: Try the steps from the following link and check the result:

How do I reset Windows Update components?

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article:

How to backup registry

Edited by noknojon, 14 March 2015 - 03:34 AM.

#4 ingag2014

ingag2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:53 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I have run the Update Readiness Tool, disabled and uninstalled all virus protection and tried the running fixit.  SP1 is installed on this computer, but it won't run SP2 even after running all the fixes I could find on the web.  SFC came back with errors that could not be repaired and the Fixit tool fixed several items, but could not fix the update problem.  

This is an HP laptop and did not come with any disks.  Does anyone have any other suggestions.

#5 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:16 PM

Hello Ingag,

Before I say anything else, I want to tell you that HP will provide you with disks for free or low cost if you contact them, so you can do a clean install (OR A REPAIR) of your OS.  Just back up any files first!  

With that said, since you've run sfc /scannow and the correct update readiness tool with no luck, I have a couple of things in mind that may help. First you can run chkdsk /f in command prompt (run as administrator). After restart, you can go to http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058 to reset Windows update.  Restart and run windows update. install any updates and try again to install SP2.  If this doesnt work, will SP1 re-install manually? That might correct any corruption and allow SP2 to be installed.  If not, You may be able to download the SP2 standalone package and install it in safe mode without using windows update. DONT RUN WINDOWS UPDATE IN SAFE MODE W/ NETWORKING! Update won't know what is needed in that state.  Let us know if you have any luck, or if you find the solution.

Edited by MarkMCS, 15 March 2015 - 03:07 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#6 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

Please download and run SFCFix.

From an administrative command prompt, run:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

then upload sfcfix.txt, sfcdetails.txt (on your desktop) and CheckSUR.log (C:\windows\logs\cbs\).

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users