Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Couple Of Questions About Video Monitors and Graphic Cards

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

Sorry to post this again, but maybe this forum would be more appropriate;

Hello All,

I am new to this whole computer scene and I have a lot to learn about all of the various aspects of computer technology. First, I am in the middle of building my first computer and I have been tweaking it since I first assembled it a couple of weeks ago. I just added a new monitor, a Samsung 24 inch high resolution monitor. http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS24D360HL/ZA

It has really made a big difference over my previous monitor which was an old HP monitor that came with a pre-packaged computer which I bought in 2009. My first question deals with the software that comes packaged with the monitor. The monitor itself was plug and play, I simply plugged it into the computer with an HDMI cable and it worked flawlessly. So what is on the CD that is included and do I really need it if I am happy with the monitor as it is?

Second, I will be adding a cheap graphics card to my computer this weekend, like this; http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1226&pid=2020&lid=1

Will this card be a simple plug and play addition or will I need to add special software for it? Also, will adding this card make my present video capabilities out of the back of my motherboard null and void, or will the video jacks on the back of the motherboard still be functional? I would like to be able to access the video processing of the motherboard in the future in case anything goes wrong with the video card. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

Hi there.. Typically with the monitor disk you don't really need it.  It may be that the disc will install some drivers that provide special capabilities like calibration tools.  You may not need it.  They also typically come with trials of this or that that, so I personally have never used the disk that came with a monitor.

The same goes with the Video card.  I would not use the disk that came with the card because typically they are older drivers and I would instead download the newest catalyst drivers from the AMD website.

You can leave your onboard video ' active ' as this should not cause a problem with your new video card.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:50 AM

Wow, thanks. That really clears up a lot of concerns that I had.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users