Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Sharing Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

In addition to my built-in admin acct, I have a public acct, my regular acct -- wouldn't many folders and files have to be shared amongst those accts?  Could anyone canceling some of those $sharing "bust up" the sharing that's internal to Windows and those accts?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

I don't really understand what you mean Roland. I explained what these shares are my post here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568198/shared-files-and-folders/#entry3639561

These "shares" are in fact the partitions which correspond to the letter shown. Accessing \\Roland-PC\c$ would allow me to access your C: drive. If you have another HDD connected with the letter D:, accessing \\Roland-PC\d$ would allow me to access that HDD. However, in order to access these shares, I must provide a username and password of an account that is authorized to access these shares on the computer where it's located. So if you only have one account on that computer, I'll need to provide the username and password. Hence why I think that it's useless to disable these default shares. They are only really useful on a domain (which you shouldn't be if you are a home user). No one should have the username and password of your user on your network anyway.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

Thanks Aura for your information!  That helps me understand that part of Windows better; again thanks  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:56 PM

No problem Roland :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:21 AM

Aura!  This post was originally designed to support the idea of not changing what Windows does internally, to suit itself, not necessarily to suit the enduser   :)  Have you ever changed a default account belonging to Windows -- "and lived to tell about it?"

Edited by RolandJS, 14 March 2015 - 07:21 AM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

I never changed the file sharing settings of a default user account because there's no need to. As long as the user have a password (well, all the users have passwords on that computer), no one can access the file sharing without providing approved credentials on that system.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users