Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless mouse on PACKARD BELL iMedia S2885 Desktop PC slowing up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Professorbed

Professorbed

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

Had the 

PACKARD BELL iMedia S2885 Desktop PC

now for a couple of months. Been absolutely fine, until today, when i noticed the wireless mouse start to labour. Tried moving the receiver to a different USB port. Made no difference. Tried changing the battery. No difference.

Thought it was just a mouse issue, but then noticed windows which I click take a moment to appear or freeze slightly, and then the mouse getting slower and more juddery (not moving at all, and then appearing the other side of the screen).

Reboot the whole system and it starts up fine, and then will slowly deteriorate again.

Im sure there must be an explanation somewhere as its a pretty new machine.

Windows 8.1

Intel Core i3-4460 Processor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

You have tried what would have been my first suggestion - you have changed the battery !

This gradual slowing and general jitteriness could possibly be due to your computer overheating a bit. According to this web-site the maximum case temperature for your processor is 72o C  -

http://ark.intel.com/products/75038/Intel-Core-i5-4440-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

I would be inclined to check that all your fans are working properly and that there is nothing obstructing the airflow around the area of the CPU. Then I would download and install 'Speccy' which you can get as a free download here from BC -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Among the mass of data Speccy produces it gives temperature data which you will see in the 'Summary' screen. the temperature given above is the maximum case temperature - Tc Max - and I would be concerned if in normal general purpose use this exceeded 50 - 60o C. If you are into heavy duty gaming then you can expect the temperature to rise nearer to the maximum permitted. when you have Speccy installed, wait for this jitteriness to start and then run Speccy and see what temperatures it shows.

I  note you say this computer is a couple of months old. It is possible that opening up the case  - especially if this requires you to break any seals - might void your warranty. If this is the situation, don't open up the case, just install Speccy.  If it does show high temperatures, contact your supplier.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Professorbed

Professorbed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:09 AM

Thanks Chris

I noticed that after about 85 mins it starts to show a lot of judderyness and the PC becomes a bit more laboured.

Took your advice about Speccy and the highest temperature reached was 38C but generally running at around 33C

Im only really using the PC for general internet use and basic functions. Not gaming.

Was thinking back as to when the change happened and it came after I installed a plug-in to use Skype. I have since uninstalled it as I felt I didnt want to use it, but things changed after that point.

When you reboot machine, everything works perfectly again, but not practical to do this every 90 mins.

Any advice greatly appreciated

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:05 PM

Your temperatures are entirely nominal for that type of use. There is a critical layer of heatsink compound between the CPU and the heatsink, there was always the possibility that this had not been properly applied in the factory.

Skype and/or this plug-in seem to be at the root of your problem. My next step would be to see if there is a restore point dating back to before you installed this plug-in. If there is I would do the restore. If you haven't done it before click 'Start - Control panel - Recovery - Open system restore'. This brings up a panel listing the  most recent restore points, if there isn't one there from before you installed the plug-in, click the button 'More restore points'. If you have an early enough restore point select it then click 'Start restore', accept the various warnings  and let it run. It will probably do a re-boot, if it doesn't, do one yourself then see if the problem is fixed.

If it isn't, or you don't have an early enough restore, I would completely uninstall Skype and the plug-in through the control panel and, if necessary, use the Revo uninstaller to check that all remnants are gone before re-installing Skype if you want it - you don't quite make it clear whether it was Skype you don't want or just the plug-in. Revo is a very effective uninstaller, especially good at getting rid of the little components program uninstallers can leave behind. It's a free download and you can get it here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

Use the default settings and delete everything it suggests. Once you are certain it is gone try your computer and see if it is running normally - you can always re-install Skype later if you want it.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Professorbed

Professorbed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

Hello again

Thanks for your reply. I performed the Recovery system restore at the prior to the plug in download. And I also installed Revo and got rid of any of the remnants of the Skype program.

Keeping my fingers crossed regretfully, as i type this I am getting the 'lag' issues again after the machine has been on for around an hour now.

Im assuming therefore it may be, as you suggested, a manufacture issue which has suddenly become apparent.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

I was quite concerned that there might have been n over heating problem, but your temperatures are, as I said, entirely normal. Give me a day or so, I am going to see if I can get a second opinion on this.

In the meantime, could you post your Speccy report ?  Open Speccy, click file and you will see an entry which gives you a URL. All you need to do is paste the URL into your next post - see these two images :-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwaszwh39bbhxdb/To%20obtain%20a%20%27Speccy%27%20log%20URL.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1eunlfexq9aebij/%27Speccy%27%20log%20URL.jpg?dl=0

No sensitive information is included in the report.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 15 March 2015 - 07:25 PM.
Request for Speccy report

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

Try disabling USB suspend on the USB ports. I am not familiar with the mouse but is there a pair button on it? You may want to re-pair the device. Have you tried the mouse on another computer to see if the same problem occurs?

Was there any driver software with the mouse or was the bluetooth plug and play. Do you have a model number for the mouse?

#8 Professorbed

Professorbed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:58 AM

Hello guys, ive decided with such a new machine I will take it back to the store from which I bought it from as it still has 2 days left on the warranty! Its a complete pain in the backside. I even changed to my old keyboard & mouse, which improved things to begin with but the issues are now back again. Interesting to note that I have to change the keyboard USB port every time just to type the password in to log on, as it doesnt work first time.

I do think there is an underlying issue with the whole machine as after time other functions of the PC become affected.

I do apologise for not getting a final result here and all the efforts which you have made to resolve this. It was very much appreciated.

David

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for the update. Returning the comptuer under warranty was the right choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users