Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacked and down

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 arogue

arogue

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

Win Ex P op system, sp3. Got into my laptop and left me an unwelcome gift. System became corrupted. Used first, ads, combo fix wouldn't run, ads, etc. tried other utilities also. Ms config, nothing there. Internet went down, uninstalled, reinatalled. Used net adapter utility, but each time would only stay stable for a short time.

Reformatted 3x, reinstalled xp, w win sp3. logged onto Internet, only 3mps download, .2mps up. Reformatted, reinstalled again. Same result. Did update all drivers

I have been able to fix errors before. This one has me stopped. Any help appreciated. Oh, I had bit defender Internet security 2015 installed plus a solid password on my Netgear 6300 router. Blew past them and I actually saw when he came on the computer. Could not shut down fast enough.

Hope this subscribes me to any response.

I am using an iPad, to send this.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2015 - 06:12 PM.
Moved from XP to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:49 PM

If you have re-installed windows 3 times and not luck, sounds more like a hardware problem for instance the hard drive..

#3 arogue

arogue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:57 PM

Can't dispute this but, no problem before I saw him get into the computer.

#4 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

Edited by mauguilar, 13 March 2015 - 05:14 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

Disable Remote Access on the router. This would make it so any changes on the router would only be allowed  using a computer hardwired to the router.  Go to GRC.com (Edit: Fixed link) and get a 63 printable ASCII characters hashed down to 256 binary bits passwordCopy and paste that for your WPA2 AES PSK.

XP no longer has Security Updates so using it is a risk. If the computer hardware supports it then upgrade to Windows 7 or use a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 March 2015 - 06:46 PM.

#6 arogue

arogue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:47 PM

Thanks, I.ll do this if I can get it back up. Ordered a new Hp. Don.t have it yet. I would like to save this one if possible. Give it to my daughter.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

XP users should read these topics for more tips and suggestions...XP users should also stop using Internet Explorer since that version is no longer supported and is vulnerable to exploits. Instead, they should use an updated alternate browser.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

Thanks, I.ll do this if I can get it back up. Ordered a new Hp. Don.t have it yet. I would like to save this one if possible. Give it to my daughter.

If you are to give it to your daughter, and she's not someone that have safe browsing habits (or safe computing practices), you could always install a user-friendly Linux distro on that laptop instead of an OS that is vulnerable and outdated and that could get infected easier than Linux distro. We have some good Linux users here, like cat and NickAu that could give you tips and tricks on how to go about this :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 arogue

arogue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

Thanks to all. After some more reading, I found that there is a backdoor to all but a couple of commercial high end routers. Port 37 something. I forgot exact listening port. I also found that there are registry keys left behind when reformatting. I am going to try to delete all of these files and then used dban to reformat. I.ll let you know what happens. Might be few days. Have to go to work so I can make a dban disk.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:34 AM

I also found that there are registry keys left behind when reformatting.

May I ask you where you read that and to link me the article? This isn't possible. When you fully format Windows, everything goes with it, it doesn't stay hidden anywhere.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 arogue

arogue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

I read so many items online, I really don't remember. Although It was one of the tech blogs. It had to be one where there was info on dban.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:09 PM

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. You should always check with multiple sources to confirm information.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

What quietman said is right. And now a day, with all these articles on the NSA, privacy, security, encryption, etc. there's more lies than ever being spread on the Internet. If you read something that doesn't look right, you should ask for the opinion or confirmation of someone working in the field, or that knows about the field to see if it's right or wrong.

unite_blue.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

34007033.jpg

#15 arogue

arogue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

Thanks to all. Seems like after reinstall, everything workin ok until I install a new driver for the Realtek adapter. Then I.m back to sq 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users