Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Home Basic NOT A Legitimate Copy

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rh.hamilton27

rh.hamilton27

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

I had to re-install Windows Vista: Home Basic a while back from an ISO I downloaded. I have a Toshiba laptop that's OEM manufactured.

But when I tried to activate Vista with my cd-key, it said it wouldn't activate. I eventually called Microsoft about activation but I was then told my 

key has been blocked because I have a counterfeit Windows and was told to report it "How To Tell" at Microsoft.

The problem with this is that I was told a while back that I could download an ISO as long as I had the product id and activation key by various people including computer shop owners and the like.

I had downloaded "Vista Ultimate" which had the version of windows I needed from vista64x.com that linked to another website which no longger had the downloads available so I decided to download from a dec 2014 archive.org page.

But I'm too paranoid to report counterfeit copies because this sounds like entrapment even if I did nothing wrong.

What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:25 PM

There are no longer any legitimate sites where you can download a full Vista iso and that includes the Ultimate version. Personally I have never heard of the Ultimate version of Vista being installed on an OEM computer like Toshiba. Was Ultimate on the Toshiba when you purchased it? Unfortunately, there is not much you can do other than to purchase a Windows 7 or Vista disk. You can also install a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint on the computer.

Microsoft is usually pretty good at transfering an OEM license to a new motherboard if you call them or reactivating a install using an OEM key so they must have had a good reason to deny the activation if you talked to a live person.

#3 rh.hamilton27

rh.hamilton27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

There are no longer any legitimate sites where you can download a full Vista iso and that includes the Ultimate version. Personally I have never heard of the Ultimate version of Vista being installed on an OEM computer like Toshiba. Was Ultimate on the Toshiba when you purchased it? Unfortunately, there is not much you can do other than to purchase a Windows 7 or Vista disk. You can also install a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint on the computer.

Microsoft is usually pretty good at transfering an OEM license to a new motherboard if you call them or reactivating a install using an OEM key so they must have had a good reason to deny the activation if you talked to a live person.

Thanks for replying!

When I said I downloaded Vista Ultimate, I meant to say it had the "home basic" version I needed along with other editions.

Why is there a good reason for Microsoft to block my legitimate key? And why would a block be triggered by them?

Edited by rh.hamilton27, 13 March 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:06 PM

I am not sure why Microsoft blocked your key. If you had a Home Basic OEM key then it should have activated. The Disk with Home Basic might have been a retail version and not the OEM version as your key was. You would need an OEM Home Basic disk in order to activate.

#5 rh.hamilton27

rh.hamilton27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:11 PM

Again, Thanks for replying!

I'm certain it was a Retail version because after I installed Vista, my "Product ID"(not key) originally didn't have "-OEM-" in the middle until I changed it to OEM.

Would any OEM CD or ISO be better or would I have problem with those, aswell?

I heard  not the Dell version of the DVD should be used for whatever reason.

Edited by rh.hamilton27, 13 March 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

Well, I am not sure if any OEM disk would work or not. On an OEM computer all the keys are identical. OEM's use SLP and SLIC to activate Windows and Microsoft no longer accepts keys that are printed on the sticker.  The OEM disk you get would need to be for a Toshiba Computer with the required certificates and SLP key that the SLIC table in BIOS would detect. You could contact Toshiba for a new Vista Disk. I believe it would be a nominal charge for a new recovery disk. See this link for Recovery Media. Middle of the page.

See this Wiki on SLP and SLIC. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 March 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#7 rh.hamilton27

rh.hamilton27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for the advice! I never saw that option before.

But one more question... do recovery disks from Toshiba have full installation? Because I already installed a new operating system.

Ironically it kept all my old Windows files including config.sys and autoexec and moved it to a folder called "windows.old.

Do recovery CDs fully install or do I manually have to restore my old windows files using a live-cd like puppy-linux?

#8 rh.hamilton27

rh.hamilton27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

THANKS!

Edited by rh.hamilton27, 13 March 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:08 PM

The recovery disk from Toshiba I believe will do a complete reinstall of the OS and wipe out anything you currently have on the computer. You end up with a computer in a factory state. You would need to backup your data and reinstall any programs. You can contact Toshiba customer service to verify that.

#10 rh.hamilton27

rh.hamilton27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:32 PM

One more question for good!

If I re-install my OS with the Toshiba DVD, will my key automatically become valid or do I have to re-activate manually after the previous install?

#11 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:46 AM

Hi,

I noticed your conversation and thought I would add my 2 cents. I had to replace the hard drive on my Inspiron in 2013 and Dell sent reinstallation disks at no charge. As stated above, The disks were specific to Dell, unlike a storebought OS, and drivers/utilities were on a separate disk.  If you still have the invoice showing installed hardware that would be a big help with drivers, or you could run Astra32 which will scan your system to let you know whats inside. In my case, The OS was activated automatically after install.  Downside with Dell is that they sent the same version that was installed when I purchased the laptop in 2009, which was Vista Home premium SP1, so it took some time to get it up to date again.  Perhaps Toshiba is more user friendly. In any case, I wish you luck.  

PS...Even if the OEM disks have a repair option as well as a clean install, I would recommend backing up your files beforehand to play it safe!

Edited by MarkMCS, 14 March 2015 - 04:15 AM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

One more question for good!

If I re-install my OS with the Toshiba DVD, will my key automatically become valid or do I have to re-activate manually after the previous install?

Yes. the OS will be preactivated.

#13 rh.hamilton27

rh.hamilton27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the help!

I'v already ordered the Toshiba recovery disk and should be on it's way and  was about 30$.

Edited by rh.hamilton27, 14 March 2015 - 01:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users