Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macs On Wireless Networks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tvguy

tvguy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:06 AM

I just picked up an iMac that I want to put on my wireless Linksys home network. The iMac has built-in Ethernet and USB.

Can I just pick up a USB wireless adapter and jump right on? Linksys doesn't seem to have any drivers or docs for adding Macs. Anyone know?

TV Guy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:07 AM

Do you know what model or technology your wireless Linksys router uses?

#3 tvguy

tvguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:11 AM

802.11b. The router is the Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router (BEFW11S4).

Thanks for the quick response.

#4 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:17 AM

You will want to look into purchasing an Apple Airport wireless card. It comes in a few different configuration, so pick the one that best suits your needs.

You can find information about this device and instructions on how to use it with your router below:

Apple Airport Specs

The following instructions may not be necessary anymore as the instructions are old and there probably have been firmware updates to the linksys that make it more compativle with Airport cards.

Linksys-Airport Tutorial

#5 tvguy

tvguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:40 AM

I have a desktop Mac, not a laptop. I'm not interested in a base station. I just need to add a card to the existing iMac, and have it access the internet via my Linksys router.

Is there a Linksys card or USB adapter that would perform this function? Or do I need to get an Apple piece of hardware?

#6 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:48 AM

Here are some suggestions for you. As you have an older Imac you are somewhat limited, but one of these 3 solutions should do the trick:

Apple Solution (I would check with apple to confirm this would work):

AirPort Card Adapter

with

Airport Extreme Card

Linksys solution 1 (This may only support Wireless - G):

Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge

Linksys solution 2 (Does work with 802.11) :

Wireless-G Game Adapater

Basically the 2 linksys devices enable you to plug your computer into the device via ethernet, and then that device will talk to your base station.

Hope this helps

#7 tvguy

tvguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:28 PM

the wireless bridge sounds like just the ticket. i'm going to pick up the Linksys WET 11 bridge (it's an older 802.11b Bridge), plug it into the iMac ethernet jack, and see what happens. in theory, it should work!

thanks again for the advice, i couldn't find ANY answers anywhere else on the web.

#8 tvguy

tvguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2004 - 10:49 PM

Here's a final update. My comments are coming directly from my iMac on my wireless network! I bought the Linksys WET 11 Wireless-B Ethernet Bridge, configured it on my PC to match my wireless settings, connected it to my iMac's built-in Ethernet jack, and voila I'm on the Internet wirelessly!

Actually, there was one mistake on my part. There's a slide switch you need to move on the Bridge if you are connecting it to a router to configure it (which I did). You need to move it back when you connect it to the iMac (which I didn't until I got an error message).

Hey, I'm up and running, and I couldn't get my question answered anywhere else on the Net. You guys produce RESULTS, and I'll be back again for sure!

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users