Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers wont even open safe webpages like google

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 theVenerable

theVenerable

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

Hello

After a fresh windows install, 

I get warnings like 'your connection is not private' when I try to view webpages on Google chrome, and 'there's a problem with this website certificate' when using internet explorer.

Also, some webpages dont display very well, the pictures are missing and the text layout is wrong.

I set my clock to the right time, it was wrong, but I rectified it.

But I'm still getting these problems

I'm running windows 7 ultimate x64

Any ideas?

Thanks, the Venerable

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:46 PM

Does the same thing more or less happen using Internet Explorer and/or Firefox?  After the fresh reinstall, what, if any, 3rd party monitoring and/or security programs were installed?  When the BC regulars [techs] appear in here, follow their advice, they won't steer you wrong  :)

Edited by RolandJS, 13 March 2015 - 12:47 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 theVenerable

theVenerable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

Does the same thing more or less happen using Internet Explorer and/or Firefox?  After the fresh reinstall, what, if any, 3rd party monitoring and/or security programs were installed?  When the BC regulars [techs] appear in here, follow their advice, they won't steer you wrong   :)

Hi
Yes, same on all browsers I've tried

I don't thnk there was any third party software installed, it was just a standard windows 7

My browser wont play youtube videos either due to the security certificate being out of date I think it said.

but I've checked my bios clock, and set my windows desktop clock, and they are both correct.

Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

There is no need to bother with the desktop clock, if the BIOS clock is accurate.  If the date/time data is wrong in the BIOS clock, it will cause problems with Windows.

A need to reset the BIOS data multiple times...probably indicates the need to replace the CMOS battery for the system.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81

Of course...any time that changes are made in the CMOS/BIOS...the changes need to be saved (F10).

Louis

#5 theVenerable

theVenerable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:20 PM

There is no need to bother with the desktop clock, if the BIOS clock is accurate.  If the date/time data is wrong in the BIOS clock, it will cause problems with Windows.

A need to reset the BIOS data multiple times...probably indicates the need to replace the CMOS battery for the system.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81

Of course...any time that changes are made in the CMOS/BIOS...the changes need to be saved (F10).

Louis

Thanks
I didn't have to reset the bios clock, I just checked it and it was fine.

Only the desktop clock was wrong.

So perhaps it's not a bios issue anyway.

The computer is only about 4 years old so I think the bios battery is fine also.

Could any other issue be causing this problem?

Thanks

#6 theVenerable

theVenerable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:33 AM

I decided to do another fresh install

It seems ok now.

I think I must have accidentally changed the clock time while I was setting up the OS, as the clock was wrong when I first got to the desktop.

I guess it must somehow have internally confused my system even though the desktop clock was corrected.

Thanks for the time and tips :)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

Make sure you have chosen the correct region.  If you had the wrong region chosen it could have produced these results.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users