Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove server ref from xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shieblerp

shieblerp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

Have older XP that was part of a netwok. I log on as admin but cant delete a past user which I believe is the past server. Can find keys/values/data in registry but too leary of deleting them. Only the administrator and guest showup in the add/delete user control box. If I try to delete from windows explorer am told that it is a system file and won't let me delete it. The user name shows up in registry as a key in (Microsoft /'Volatile Environment) amoung other places and is part of TrustPolicyManagement.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:10 PM

If the profile has been deleted...AFAIK, it's impossible to have any meaningful file references to said profile.

Why are you hunting for such references in the registry?  What problems are you having?

Louis

#3 shieblerp

shieblerp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:41 PM

The old user is still acting as the owner of my logon ie recents, downloads etc are still being assigned to it's profile. I'm simply trying to clean the computer of old profiles and software of the previous network and set it up as a stand alone. I suppose I could simply reload xp but I would have to reinstall all xp updates plus all additional installed previously purchased software that I would like to take advantage of. I was looking in the registry to find a way around the 'unable to delete' messages I receive - a method I'v used before to delete nusance items bundled in downloads. The profile in question has to do with cashregister receipts/postings and seems to have added security. There are nolonger any data files reflecting this use but the user is still there. And as I say , the user name is not shown in the control panel-just the guest user and one I added for my own and this I don'tunderstand.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

I don't understand it either...I would think such is impossible, based on my experiences with Windows.

Are you using a domain logon?  If the system was part of a domain and you are trying to use it as a non-domain system, I'd say a clean install is in order.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users