Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP DJ 2543 Lights Blink - Blank Status Box

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

Hi All,

My Aunt has an HP Deskjet 2543 that she uses stand alone to make copies.  The wireless direct status light blinks, the attention light blinks, and bloth cartridge lights are blinking.  There is nothing in the status box.  We have disconnected the power to try to reset it and the same thing happens when we  turn it back on.  I think it is toast but was just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.  The printer is only about 3 to 4 months old and of course this is the only receipt my Aunt can't find from the last three years.

Thanks,

RiverMiss

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

I'm going to assume that it doesn't print or copy right? Even without the receipt you should be able to send it back to HP and get it fixed.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

Hi RiverMiss
This page is the Trouble shooting page from HP for Your printer
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-2540-All-in-One-Printer-series/5295960/model/5385257/troubleshooting?lang=en&cc=us

and this one is the user manual
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03848903

Does this from the manual sound like the problem?

Basic Troubleshooting

3. If the Attention light and Cartridge lights are blinking, check the cartridge access door to make sure it is closed

If this sounds like the problem try opening and closing the door just in case.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Roger plus,

Yes, I already stepped through the entire troubleshooting guide prior to posting.  They do not list the precise problem I am experiencing.  Those pictures show information on the status screen which we do not have and nothing lists the exact same set of lights blinking that is on this printer.  The printer is not finishing booting basically so no it does not print nor copy nor anything else.

RiverMiss

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hi

I have no other suggestions beyond leaving it unplugged overnight and see if that helps. Is the Printer even detected by a computer?

What does a HP repair service say if You call them.

As for the link to trouble shooting I was covering all the bases as I did not know how far you went.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

As I stated - this is a stand alone printer that is used for copies only and to print wirelessly from her iPad.  My Aunt does not use a computer at this time.  You cannot call HP support for free unless it is under warranty and even then I think you have to pay.

It had been left unplugged for days to try to reset it and nothing changed.

Thanks,

RiverMiss

Edited by RiverMiss, 14 March 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

See this video. The model is not the same but HP usually has a cold reset sequence for their printers which they do not like to disclose for some reason. The closest I could find was for the 3050. The number of buttons are different but try using the combination of the color, cancel, and power button. If that does not work try the blank and white button instead. Good Luck.

#8 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

Thanks.  My Aunt is out of town but I will try it when she returns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users