Symptoms of a problem: On a acer laptop running windows 8.1 OS
In the middle of my midterms I powered down; I couldn’t bear even the slightest led as I was computer screen washed out.
Turning on my computer immediately revealed something was a-muck. And since, after running the usual antivirus programs, I have discovered a few more issues. Yet my antivirus(s) didn’t pick up any concerns or find any viruses.
Turned on computer
- All my icons were perfectly to the right hand side of my monitor. I didn’t do this.
- I started getting some website errors, like 404 not found warnings for sites I am constantly on with school.
- I have a huge assignment that I am working on and it has its own folder on my desktop. I was getting tired of reading all my folder names, as they are difficult to see, so I went into folder properties to change the icon to something that would stand out so I could quickly locate it on my desktop. My laptop ignored the button that says APPLY and OK. I of course put it down to my error and tried again, still my icon selection was not taking effect. I looked carefully at the properties of my folder and ‘read only’ was ticked. I did not do this either. Just to make sure there was a problem I tried a couple other icon changes and none of them took either. They to were ticked with 'read only'
- My internet connection is unbearably slow. I tweaked my router with a new password, just in case someone had decided to piggy back me, and the internet was almost crawling to the point of just hanging.
- I thought I would try a system restore, as I am diligent about creating a restore point before I make any major changes to my laptop. THERE WERE NO RESTORE POINTS TO BE FOUND!
- I used Rkill to enhance my antivirus scans and the following programs were run by me without picking up any problems.
- tried analyzing with auto runs
- used tcpview. to no avail really as I don't understand what I am looking for.
- used CCleaner to look up auto-start programs, and ran a duplicate file scan. This is so interesting, I have a zitillion of duplicate files upwards of 15-20 for the same file all created on the same day which is 27th February. I have opted to wait before addressing them in case you would like see for yourself.
Absolutely nothing has been detected, and absolutely everything is crawling.
It looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, so I'm thinking it is a duck. What do you think?