Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo laptop will not boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 early bird

early bird

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hello all, my Lenovo y400 laptop will not boot past the Lenovo logo. After about five minutes I get the "your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. We are just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you" error with the message "unmountable boot volume" under it. After restarting it will try to initialize the recovery tool automatically , but after about 5 minutes it restarts and does the process all over.  I'm guessing there are either corrupted files on the HD or that the HD is broken. I've tried using a recovery usb  to restore or reset the computer but it seems that the usb doesn't boot either, the screen just goes black and stays like that until I turn it off. I have exhausted my limited computer knowledge in trying to fix this problem and I'm not sure what else to try. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

if you had no previous problems, then it sounds like a bad hard drive to me,

i would remove the hard drive and hook it up to another computer for testing

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:40 AM

There are several things which could cause this error message.

A BIOS setting has been changed, such as the SATA controller gets toggled from ATA to AHCI mode, or vice versa.

The RAID settings getting changed from Autodetect.

A cable becoming loose.

File corruption.

A failing hdd.

You may not be able to boot into Windows, but you should be able to boot into the BIOS.  Check your BIOS settings to be sure they are correct.  

Check your data and power cable connections.

Without the installation disc you can't run chkdsk c: /r or sfc /scannow.

If the hdd/ssd is having a problem you should use the manufacturer's diagnostic tool to determine the health of the drive.  In order to determine the make and model of you drive you will need to remove it from the laptop's caddy.  You can find the hardware maintenance manual here.

If you post the model of the drive I will provide you with a link to a diagnostic.  This diagnostic tool will create a bootable disc.  You will need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the DVD/CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd/ssd the second.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 william shinning spa

william shinning spa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

I have a window 8 error irql_. I have no idea how to fix it. Pls send me the link to solve that error.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

William shinning spa, you need to start your own topic.  

Please provide a full description of your problem.  

It would be helpful if you were to post the make and model of this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users